Simplest way to motorize a bike?

GoldenMotor.com

alaskan

Jul 14, 2010
fairbanks
I know more than enough about bicycles, a tiny bit about simple 4-stroke engines, and that's where it stops.

Can anyone point me to some kind of step-by-step guide as to how to just simply put an engine on a bike and make it go?

I don't want to deal with transmissions, I don't want to even think about figuring out how to connect anything to the bike's existing drivetrain, or any of that complicated stuff....

For example, could I just throw a cog onto the driveshaft of a 4.5hp briggs or honda engine, another cog on the back wheel, run a hefty chain between, add a throttle control and be set?

Sounds like it'd work to me, but it would really help to have something showing me how it's actually done.

Thanks for any input...

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if you spend a little time on this site, you'll pretty much get a step by step walk through of how to motorize a bike. and if you pay attention and weed out the bad advice from the good, you'll build a pretty good one.

if you pay even more attention, and have good reading and comprehension skills, combined with a knowledge of tools and, finally, common sense, you can build a great bike.

but if you want someone else to do all the work, pedaling is good exercise, and you can make "vroom vroom" noises while you ride to get the motorized experience.

(edit. sorry. my favorite definition of 'sarcasm' is "laughter with knives." everything you need is available on this forum, you just gotta look around. if you want someone else to do all the work, they might as well ride it for you, too.)

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I don't want to deal with transmissions, I don't want to even think about figuring out how to connect anything to the bike's existing drivetrain, or any of that complicated stuff....

For example, could I just throw a cog onto the driveshaft of a 4.5hp briggs or honda engine, another cog on the back wheel, run a hefty chain between, add a throttle control and be set?
You could try it... but I assure you to "just throw a cog onto the driveshaft of a 4.5hp briggs or honda" is far more complicated than it seems, not least of which being that the briggs doesn't fit on yer average bicycle, yer perhaps overlooking the wonders of a clutch, and that if you don't wish to spend a lil for a kit setup - yer gonna get into some serious DIY stuff just as (if not more) complicated than figuring out the drivetrain ;)

Sounds like from your lack of interest in "complications" yer prolly best off w/a 4 stroke rack rack mount but as a heads up - yer gonna pay a lil more for that simplicity.

Ya might wanna dig around in here a bit, what yer talking about is not only possible but a lot of our members have come up with some interesting solutions: DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit) - Bicycle Motor at Motorized Bicycle Forum

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
yea, that's why they pay me the big bucks...

Hang on a mo... I don't get paid at all o_O

OMGBBQCH1CK3NS!!1! /goes ona rampage :p

alaskan

Jul 14, 2010
fairbanks
installation manual pdf[/url]
Awesome, thanks for posting that.

Just finished reading through it (cheap price/how easy it sounds has me excited) and I do have one question about where it says...
To stop the engine, push the Kill Switch and turn off the gas valve at the tank. Turning off the gas will prevent fuel from being siphoned from the tank. Warning note: Never leave the fuel-tank gas valve in the open position when the engine is not running or when the bike is in storage.
Is that a common thing for this application, or is it just because it's a cheapo setup?

if you spend a little time on this site, you'll pretty much get a step by step walk through of how to motorize a bike. and if you pay attention and weed out the bad advice from the good, you'll build a pretty good one.

if you pay even more attention, and have good reading and comprehension skills, combined with a knowledge of tools and, finally, common sense, you can build a great bike.

but if you want someone else to do all the work, pedaling is good exercise, and you can make "vroom vroom" noises while you ride to get the motorized experience.

(edit. sorry. my favorite definition of 'sarcasm' is "laughter with knives." everything you need is available on this forum, you just gotta look around. if you want someone else to do all the work, they might as well ride it for you, too.)
I have no problem reading stuff, I just have no idea where to find it on this site, and I've only been here for about a day now...

And I'm a sarcastic ******* too, so don't worry about censoring yourself if I say something stupid.

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
If you want easy to build and reliable, I recommend the GEBE belt drive kit. I have ridden mine over 2000 miles with no problems whatsoever. It is more expensive, however, partly because it uses Japanese motors instead of Chinese motors.

wbelyeu

Jun 29, 2010
oklahoma city
The kits are gonna be your best bet they are easy to install and are fairly cheap for what you get and as for the gas it is always a good idea to shut off the valve jjust like a motorcycle. The quality of the kit doesnt effect wether or not you should shut it. Good luck and keep us up to date. If you have anymore questions just ask

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
You could try it... but I assure you to "just throw a cog onto the driveshaft of a 4.5hp briggs or honda" is far more complicated than it seems, not least of which being that the briggs doesn't fit on yer average bicycle, yer perhaps overlooking the wonders of a clutch, and that if you don't wish to spend a lil for a kit setup - yer gonna get into some serious DIY stuff just as (if not more) complicated than figuring out the drivetrain ;)

Sounds like from your lack of interest in "complications" yer prolly best off w/a 4 stroke rack rack mount but as a heads up - yer gonna pay a lil more for that simplicity.

Ya might wanna dig around in here a bit, what yer talking about is not only possible but a lot of our members have come up with some interesting solutions: DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit) - Bicycle Motor at Motorized Bicycle Forum

Just wanted to throw this in, should you get a kit have fun with it, but I really like the challenge of fitting a 3.5hp 4 stroke 80's era briggs engine on 26 inch frame of a JC Penny’s Foremost Bicycle from the 60's era. I will eventually get pics and am nearing getting it done. I just want to get the covers on the sprockets, chain, pulley, belt, and jack shaft for safety reasons. I also have a paint job to do as the frame was removed of all paint for the time I was welding a mount and adding brakes mounts. The coaster brake is gone since I will have no pedals, just foot pegs as it is for off roading.

Bicycle J. C. Pennys Foremost

This link has a pic, but my Foremost frame has the center arcing strengthen tube starting lower down toward the fork neck and up higher back at the seat post. This enable me to fit the engine, but on a 15 degree tilt back. I had to eval quite a few things to think the tilt mods would allow it to be done, but I think I got it done. Carb float bowl, splash oil lube, were the tilt challenges.
usflg

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
In the faded out part towards the top of the page of the forum it says Google custom search right in the center. Try different word combination's it works really well. I have been here awhile and have just begun to really appreciate it my self. Cheers and welcome to the forum!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
MEASURE TWICE - Sounds great man! I for one really dig the DIY builds as they really can exhibit the best examples of ingenuity, you really should create a build thread in DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit) to share your experience, there's always something new for us all to learn if you don't mind sharing :D

Goat Herder - I dig the new Google Custom Search as well, it sure saves me a ton o'work lol I thought I should mention for those that may not know - most search engines will bring up any mention of assorted keywords, but if you wish to search for an exact combination of keywords, simply use quotation marks around the phrase you're searching for.

For example, you're looking for NGK spark plug cap information - without quotations the search will bring up every post with any one of those words.... a mess of unrelated info. Yet if you type "NGK spark plug cap" it'll only provide returns with that exact phrase, narrowing down the search to just the info ya wanted ;)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks for the google search tips you guys. Just tried it. Cool. I tried "jewel light" and found my posts on the subject.
It is amazing, this computer and internet. It is like having the ancient libraries of Alexandria to browse through at will. No overdue book charges, either.
SB