Skyhawk 80 cc kit from Spooky Tooth

GoldenMotor.com

bugoutbike

Aug 28, 2009
Nevada
Hi All,
This is my 2nd post and want to record the progress of my Bike motor build. After reading all the posts and checking out all the web sites I chose the Skyhawk 80cc kit from Spooky Tooth. Just a few days ago I was introduced to bicycle motors by my neighbor. he installed an 80 cc kit he purchased from Ebay for $119 including shipping. I would bet that these engines were all made in the same engine factory. BUT I dont know and really dont care. I just wanted to try out a motor build on my cheapo Husky Mountain bike that I bought to ride around the park with my kids. After seeing his cool little setup I caught the "BUG" and read up on them. I placed my order this morning and $170 PayPal bucks later the deed was done. GT5 80cc kit.

One thing I have noticed though about these engine powered bikes is the diversity in the age groups and the social status people hold. I have seen in these last few days everyone from Homeless people to business execs on one type of kit or another. From kids who cant even get a learners permit to people who have lost there drivers licenses for one reason or another. Wheres the drunk smilie when you need it? BUT one thing is for sure, we are all big kids at heart and love to have fun. These little engine sure have the widest customer group I have ever seen!

As far as my project I will post as time permits me since I am on the road for several weeks at a time. When I get home I will post my build and my experiences with this particular kit and the customer service I receive from this company, Spooky Tooth. I will buy most of my parts from them and try and do a build soley around what they have to offer. The exception is a Rock Shox my brother is sending me. Other than that it should be pretty much Spooky Tooth parts. Stay tuned my friends and keep the rubber side down.

bugoutbike

Aug 28, 2009
Nevada
Thanks Dan. Hope the kit is as good as they say.

OK I just recieved an email fro FED EX saying that they picked it up and its at there Fed Ex office. So far the people over at Spooky Tooth are on the ball. Same day I ordered Fed Ex picked up.

bugoutbike

Aug 28, 2009
Nevada
Here are a few pics of my Cheapo Husky I picked up locally. I have a very boney but so dont laugh at the seat! OK go ahead and laugh........ I also removed all of the Gody stickers that were all over the bike. The bike actually looks much better now.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
gonna make a great MB BOB. Looks like my very first build. I have dreams about that bike. Was so dang proud of my self, lol.

Guy bought it from me on the street. About broke my heart. (then he tried the "I can only get X out of the bank, will you take that? Nope)

Attachments

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Can do some great stuff with this interweb thing. Just glad Al Gore invented it, lol. Create custom products and photo gifts from your photographs, images and designs at Zazzle , you can make stamps, mugs and shirts. There are a bunch 2 choose from, thats just the one I played with. (design web sites) eDJ does some great work from scratch. Will crack you up!

http://motorbicycling.com/f28/lessons-learned-pets-1862.html Is really funny how he came up with that.

Sorry, I ramble.

Dan "not ever close to on topic" Keav

Attachments

bugoutbike

Aug 28, 2009
Nevada
OK First off I really hate that song Bicycle from Queen...... Until I saw your vid. Thats funny and the song now makes sense. Kinda. LOL I just bought that CD too since there is a song one of my team member really hates "Another one bites the dust". Everytime we finish a seismic station I blast it over the radio to annoy him........... Anyway its ok to Digress on my threads.

bugoutbike

Aug 28, 2009
Nevada
In the mean time my next purchase will be for a rear mounted fuel tank from Spooky Tooth. I will post a picture they sent me.

bugoutbike

Aug 28, 2009
Nevada
So far all contact with Spooky Tooth has been excellent.

As far as the rear fuel tank I do not like how the fuel line is run in this particular picture. I will do something very different. I will order one next Friday. I really like the gear shift kit thats available but will hold off until after I build this bike using Spooky Tooth parts. Not sure what else I can order from them thats not common on a simple motorized bike. The whole point of this build is to bring one dealer to bare and report on how they deal with customers. It seems from all I have been reading that poor customer support is typical of most companies selling these kits. My goal is to find a good company for the typical first time buyer like me. My next build will be from another dealer if I have any customer service problems from this company. So far I only have thumbs up for Spooky Tooth to date.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I have the same or similar rear mount tank on one of my Americans and like the look of it. I got mine from That'sDax several years ago. It has the same flimsy support setup which vibrates and shakes around... better to mount it directly against a rear mount carrying rack so that it doesn't move around so much. The additional movement compounds the problem of leaky gas cap which seems to be the case with all these kit tank gas caps, making it so that we have to run tanks half full. My tank is mounted so that the cap is to the rear and the fuel outlet/shutoff is to the front, making for a much shorter run. Judging from the picture sent from Spooky Tooth, somebody screwed up. That line not only looks bad, but is an accident waiting to happen. A rear tank helps your bike look a little different from most kit motorbicycles and for step through bikes it is the only real option. On my other American I used a squarish snow blower tank which functioned well, but looked clunky. I have recently changed that to a smaller cylindrical tank which came from an old Iron Horse lawnmower. It has a nice retro look which fits my old Schwinn and once I removed the chipping paint I discovered a high quality aluminum underneath which buffed up nicely and will get no paint. Hmmm... "Iron Horse"... I like that. I think my next build just got it's name. Now if I can figure out a horsehead front fender light where the eyes light up when the engine is running... leather seat...cowboy hat helmet with spurs and chaps... Hi ho, Silver... AWAY! (I'm an old man, but the child inside is alive and well.)
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the investigative approach to learning about our dealers. We all benefit from that. Good luck with your build and have fun.
Silverbear

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Here is the picture Mike from Spooky Tooth sent me.
The fuel line does look precarious, but awesome looking MB! Really like the classic cruiser look.

(HEY! I speeled "precarious" correctly and with out spell check!!!)

(I'm an old man, but the child inside is alive and well.)

Silverbear
Har, lol. 2 funny SB. I take my inner child out for ice cream, rides or some times buy him bike parts or toys so as to stay in touch. Aside from being really funny, he has come up some great concepts and made us a good deal of money. He has no great love or dislike of income. He just wants to do off the wall biz stuff.

drn2

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
FYI- the Spookytooth tank looks to be the same as the one I got from Dax. Mine didnt come with instructions or hardware but not sure about the spookytooth one. The tank has 4 threaded mounting point and will take a 10-24 machine screw. The fuel outlet will not work with the standard threaded fuel shut offs. It is a male threaded end and will require a 3/8 brass compression fitting. Use a compression nut and ferrule that match your fuel line diameter.

vicsvw

May 12, 2009
USA
I to just purchased a 66cc bike kit, but from "GasBike" and in about the same place you are. I to figured they were probably all made by the same factory so I order the $119.95 Kit. I later found out there are quite a few manufactures of the same motor. I traced down one of the exporters and found the sell for around $50.00 each & the better kits were like $52 and $54 each. This was for 1000 kits. Price was at the Singapore dock. I did not check on shipping and Import Duties. Small changes can be requested when ordering. But the basics are the same. Poor Quality control and all bolts and studs very soft and ready to brake. I have striped my motor down to check out the porting and to replace all the studs and bolts with better quality stuff. I went to 1/4-20 American for all the studs because it was easer then finding good quality 6mm studs. Replaced bolts with 6mm allen’s since I had these already. I am now working on a better mounting set up and some basic clean up of ports and Ex. I can’t get the clutch to completely release when set not to slip. This is just the Lever set up and I have sent two e-mails to GasBike with no response. I will let you know if GasBbike gets back to me or if I am completely ignored.

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
I ordered the Skyhawk 80cc from Spooky Tooth. The carburetor was
missing the rubber o-ring that mates the carburetor to the intake pipe
that keeps it from sucking air. I contacted Spooky Tooth by phone and said
my engine was under full warranty and would send me a complete gasket set
for the carburetor by first class mail. I hope that gasket set contains that
rubber o-ring.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
It can't be said enough, Going with good and well known dealers is always the way to go. (Like ST!) I cringe when I read or hear "I got it off some guy on Ebay" Not that it means they are not all good folks, but they are not all good folks. You can buy 50 kits for less then 3K with shipping. Buy a domain name and web hosting and bamm, they are a dealer. With bad customer support, furthers all the bad press. The CG kits are amazing for the $. But a horrid experience for new folks if they can't call or ask simple questions. Worce, can not get what they paid for or get it to work.