Exaust smoke coming out sprocket cover!!

GoldenMotor.com

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
When im at a stand still with my clutch lever pulled in and I rev the motor exaust comes out of the cover by the clutch lever were the sprocket is....What is going on?bad seal?The engine boggs when I rev it up even at a stand still with the clutch pulled in....It takes it awile to rev up....Could this have to do with the exaust smoke coming out of the sprocket cover????Driving down the road my top speed is mabe 15mph and If I pedel with it,it will eventually hit the power band and go up to 25mph sometimes....Exaust is coming out of the muffler like it should....
Thanks for any help
John-John

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Would that cause the engine to rev up slowly and bogg?
This is a strange one. If either side crankshaft seal was bad you wouldn't get exhaust from the clutch actuator cover. Are you certain that is what you're seeing? But to answer your question; a bad crank seal, or any air leak will cause a lean condition and poor performance. You can try the old carburetor cleaner method of looking for air leaks. Spray it around places on your engine while it is running and listen for distinct changes in rpm. The intake manifold gasket and where the carb slides onto it are the most common places to have an air leak. As for exhaust coming from the clutch actuator cover...you've stumped me there. Maybe someone else has seen this, I have not.
Tom

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
This is a strange one. If either side crankshaft seal was bad you wouldn't get exhaust from the clutch actuator cover. Are you certain that is what you're seeing? But to answer your question; a bad crank seal, or any air leak will cause a lean condition and poor performance. You can try the old carburetor cleaner method of looking for air leaks. Spray it around places on your engine while it is running and listen for distinct changes in rpm. The intake manifold gasket and where the carb slides onto it are the most common places to have an air leak. As for exhaust coming from the clutch actuator cover...you've stumped me there. Maybe someone else has seen this, I have not.
Tom
I am stumped as well,There is no air leaks from the cylinder to the intake or carb to intake....The engine idle's smooth,but I will spray some more carb cleaner on it and will fire it up tomorrow again and check it out and get back with you....

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Spray the crankshaft seals as well. If you are concerned about the carb cleaner damaging the coating on the magneto, or washing the grease off of the gears, you can also use a propane torch. Do NOT light the torch, just turn on the gas and hold the tip as close to the seal as you can. if there is a leak, the gas will be sucked in and alter the idling as well.
It also is way less messy.
EDIT: Have a CO2 fire extinguisher handy as well. Do not let Murphy get his chance to play his folly.
I personally hate Murphy's law..... :mad:

Last edited:

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Spray the crankshaft seals as well. If you are concerned about the carb cleaner damaging the coating on the magneto, or washing the grease off of the gears, you can also use a propane torch. Do NOT light the torch, just turn on the gas and hold the tip as close to the seal as you can. if there is a leak, the gas will be sucked in and alter the idling as well.
It also is way less messy.
thats a great idea....I never stop learning new things on this website.....shft.

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
my engine had the same problem like that 2 years ago, found out due to the displaced crankshaft seal the fumes were actually travelling thru the gear assembly and out the sprocket cover, believe or not! I just pushed the seal back in with a screwdriver and it worked :)

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
my engine had the same problem like that 2 years ago, found out due to the displaced crankshaft seal the fumes were actually travelling thru the gear assembly and out the sprocket cover, believe or not! I just pushed the seal back in with a screwdriver and it worked :)
Did you have to take the sprocket off to do this?Did the leak make your engine bogg?
Thanks for the help
John-John

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
nah not really, all I had to do was push the seal back in evenly with a screwdriver thru the teeth of the crankshaft gear.. but do it carefully so as not to damage the small gear.. i dont think i can recall any bogging but there was a considerable amount of smoke coming from the sprocket cover especially when I gave it some gas. Hope this helps..

Last edited:

wog383

Oct 11, 2009
Australia
I had same thing, smoke coming out on the clutch actuator side..I pulled clutch cover off and noticed oily buiild like on the spark plug...Seal under the main drive cog gone..It looked like it twisted off...Ordered a new one and engine had way more balls....Before it was pretty gutless, couldn't idle as well...

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
my engine is loosing its balls :(

naturally, as an educated, diplomized small engine mecahnic you would think id be ecstatic and eager to fix it back to top notch with the snap of my greasy fingers, WRONG. if its mine, i would rather run the piss out of it and get rid of it when its done.... i think ill keep ths one and do some performance rebuiling tho..... lol

wog383

Oct 11, 2009
Australia
can do that as well...My engine is only 5 months old...I got the new type high tempt seal from rock solid engines where i got my HP motor done..2 strokes are easy to fault find..Its spark, fuel or compression...

Last edited:

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
I know this dude who had a 30 something cc motor and he replaced the pistons, crank and shaft and most components with high strength, light weight alloy steel.. power output boosted to 6kw or 8 hp on the dyno believe it or not.. and this was from a 2 stroke engine that was under 40cc!

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Wow this is an old thread....My engine gave up on me and I bought a new one....It kept bogging and had little power,thought it seamed to have good compression....Oh well now im using another engine....
John-John.shft.