exahust problems

GoldenMotor.com

razorman305

May 1, 2009
ky
i have a small hole for my exahust on the end that can be removed and i was wondering if it would hurt to remove it. it gets red hot and i think it is double acting as a muffler... would it be ok to remove it?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Probly gonna need a pict of this one I got nothing. More information would be helpful. Almost sounds like restriction to be visibly red hot. Last night I had a Night Mare I dream-et I was a muffler in the morning I woke up exhausted......Sorry Snork sounded funny at the moment.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Yes removing the muffler would cause a lean condition. Can leave a burn spot at the exhaust port. Not a good thing.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The 2 stroke has no valves it breaths in two directions. Taking the muffler off will make it snort up un oiled air. You need an expansion pipe to prevent this problem. The term is called scavanging. With a tuned pipe it is the most effeciant it will snort back in unburnt exhaust that has oil in it. Making more power to boot. The stock mufflers are lacking a little for best performance... Hope this helps? This might shed some light http://motorbicycling.com/f30/2-stroke-expansion-chamber-3317.html

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
http://motorbicycling.com/f15/sbp-jack-shaft-rules-6862.html Here is a link to stuff I have been working on. In the last section of tensioner #2 I changed my air filter it is actually a right guard deodorant cap with ten plies of shear energy . Youl get my point. The added distance and bigger opening I have the stock filter out done theres is no oily mess there. It matches the cfm of air moving now it is contained.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You may be running too lean if it truly gets red hot....I have painted a couple with regular (non heat) paint, and they don't get so hot as to burn the paint off.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I have never seen a two stroke blowing BLACK smoke.

The best indicator is to pull the spark plug and look at the color. It should be brown to black, with a little oil on it. White or light grey is bad.

Now back to the exhaust....I have had a couple of pipes where the outlet hole looked o.k., but when I removed the cap, the weld had actually closed the hole to around the size of a pencil! Pop the cap off and have a look at the hole from the inside.

I "adjusted" mine with a dremel tool.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That's too rich, especially with synthetic oil....go to 24:1 despite what the "instructions" say. That is based on using regular automotive motor oil.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That's too rich, especially with synthetic oil....go to 24:1 despite what the "instructions" say. That is based on using regular automotive motor oil.
Re-read.........
24:1 is what you want. 16:1 is too heavy with oil.

Check your plug for a true indication of how your engine is running.