Many questions, wanna make a purchase!

GoldenMotor.com

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Hey,
I don't know if you've ever looked at the bikes they sell in WM. The frames may be out of aluminum, but esp. the beach cruisers have gigantic tubes in their frames!
In europe (I'm 33, lived there 50% of my life), the frames are finger thin.
They are high quality steel though, yes, but you did not have the quality disc brakes back then; everything was V-brake.
The saddles of today are leaps and bounds ahead of the older ones in comfort and affordability. Front disc brakes did not exist for bikes in the 70's to the 1990's. They only appeared after the millennium.
And even the rims, though being steel in europe, bent when hitting the sidewalk (due to the thin profile tires).
Plenty of WM bikes that have such big tires, that unless you're having a flat, you won't ever bend the rim!

I honestly believe that esp. the beach cruisers are more than capable of maintaining the 30MPH speeds. I used to ride a couple of bikes in my home country in europe for over 13 years, and all of them lasted at least 7 years! The last one I had was from china too; a city bike (mountain bike equipped with lights, reflectors, mud guards, luggage rack etc...). That bike retired with the final gear rear sprocket completely worn after 4 years; but is still in use by someone else riding in second to final gear.
(and did I tell you it was chinese, and had thinner frame than the beach cruisers in WM?)

Ow, and about the rambling apart, tell me exactly what there is on a bike (like a beach cruisers, or a Mountain bike fwiw) that can ramble apart?
Because as far as I see it, there's really not many things that can ramble apart!

Overheating wheel axis? Come on, that's a joke!
I've never in my life seen a wheel overheat, especially not the aluminum ones.

Cracked frames, well, perhaps people running a 56T sprocket will have more problems with that due to aggressive acceleration..., or aggressive zig-zagging at high speeds. But take care for your bike, and it'll last. It's good enough to sustain itself in emergencies, but don't make every brake or acceleration an emergency, because then indeed, your bike may not last very long...

I don't know, I think you don't agree with me, but that does not necessarily make my opinions or statements incorrect.
I'll throw my 2 cents in here and say if you have 3rd world roads like the roads in L.A. then you better buy a heavy duty bike cause those roads will destroy a cheap bike. High speeds and the added weight of all the stuff bolted to it will stress a cheap bike to it's limit. You will can away with a lot though if the roads are autobahn smooth. The roads condition that you travel on will determine how long your bike lasts or doesn't last. Every rut, bump, crack, and pothole is greatly amplified as your speed goes up. Get a bike with wide wide tires and at least front suspension if you can afford it.

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
Im 6'5" 270lbs and I am getting 35mph on my set up and the engine isnt done breaking in yet. I have the 44t sprocket. Im interested in your post because Im trying the same thing, but for the purpose of crossing the intercoastal waterway bridge without pushing it up the incline. lol.
I have a 26" schwinn cruiser from Target for $130 with the 44t sprocket. I expect (as I put in my own post) that doing the free mods will give me the boost needed.
In my town cruising round faster than 20mph in town is a recipe for disaster, I give everything the right of way and engine brake as I approach lights and intersections. So far no one has out right cut me off but......
The problem is visibility, you have to give people a chance to see you! I only get up to faster speeds on the long straight aways like heading out to the beach or back roads with minimal traffic.
Brakes, Helmet (brain bowl), visibility vest, lights, ya know all the stuff they talk about for motorcycles.

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
Here in Miami cops are pretty much unlearned.
They don't even know what a moped is, so they leave 2 wheeled vehicles mostly alone.

As far as the walmart bikes, they are meant to go 30MPH.
Any decent man can pedal 30MPH on a geared bike. A beach cruiser generally does not go very fast, but their frames seem pretty solid enough to go faster IMHO.

40MPH may be a lot, but then again, I'm only aiming for these speeds at WOT. More than likely I'll be running at ~ 2/3rd that speed.

30 mph under human power is much more forgiving than engine power. The stress from the engine vibrations alone can crack the welds. The stress test for bicycle safety is less strenuous. Factor in the stress from potholes and such. When pedalling the tendency is to coast over the rough roads, when the bike is under power you have less time to react. Also, I have a 6 sprocket rear and 3 sproket front geared mountain bike and I doubt Ive been able to get it above 15 mph pedalling. Im no Lance Armstrong. The fact is engines are more consistently punishing on a frame not designed to support it. Even after a year of operation the structure of the bike can fail at any time due to the stress. Most of the trips I take are 10miles each way at the longest, this is half an hour of semi-constant 20mph-35mph speeds. Im pretty sure quality control isnt prepared for that. Just sayin.xct2

Oops: I read more of the thread and I seem to echo somethings already posted. Sorry, I often dont read through all the posts. On a bright note, at least my thoughts are inline with others wisdom. I was reminded of bearing failure, mine are repacked with high heat or performance motorcycle bearing grease.

Last edited:

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
picklefish said:
Oops: I read more of the thread and I seem to echo somethings already posted. Sorry, I often dont read through all the posts. On a bright note, at least my thoughts are inline with others wisdom. I was reminded of bearing failure, mine are repacked with high heat or performance motorcycle bearing grease.
No Oops required, I am glad a couple other riders have chimed in and echoed my concerns for this new motorized bicycle builder. I had the feeling for a while he was thinking I am just some kind of nay-sayer, it's good for others with experience to chime in and form a consensus, perhaps he is more likely now to heed our warnings and not get hurt...

Last edited:

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Have you been to florida? He probably won't listen. And then it will be 'you guys said to do it' like some school yard idiot. I built my bike with a Walmart Schwinn. I would do it again. But NO WAY would I try to make it geared for 45mph. That's just crazy. And having it geared like that is going to kill it going up a hill. Right?

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
I live in Florida and the only hills I have are intercoastal waterway bridges and only one bridge has a steep incline that I feel prevents the bike from making it. My thought is if I am a half mile back and I can gun it to 40 mph will there be enough momentum for it to make it the rest of the way up? http://bridgemonitoring.com/bridges/SR520/SR520.htm
Dont know if you can make it out but one side has a long gentle climb and the other side is quite steep, well, steep for a flatlander! lol.

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
From all the responses I read, it's become clear that if I don't need the torque of the 66cc engine, I might better go with the 49cc engine?

I only wanted the 66cc engine to get better top speed, because it has better torque, I could equip it with a smaller rear sprocket.

However some users said that the 66cc vibrates significantly more, is this true?

Also, some users said the 49cc is better for top end speed; again, is this true?

Now,if the speed is limited to 20MPH, 30MPH tops, then I believe a 49cc should do perfectly fine for me, and may even be preferable.
In fact, a 33cc engine might even be better.
I'm only 170LBS, and live in FL, where the roads are pretty flat.

With the 49cc there's less chance of torquing the frame, or vibrating it loose.
It also (theoretically) will have better gas mileage than the 66cc, be it only very minimal (perhaps a few MPG's on a hundred).

Going smaller on the engine, and rear sprocket, makes things easier for the bike. I might even get a beach cruiser, and install regular V-brakes.
If people at 200+LBS can cruise beach cruisers, I'm 170LBS, with an engine I'll be about the same weight, so I think I finally made up my mind on the engine and sprocket!

Now it's just the bike, and I'm doubting between the 29 or the 32 in wheeled beach cruiser bikes.

I'm Going for wallyworld after all... This is only a small project for fun, and I won't even be riding the bicycle that much. More than likely I'll give it away to a friend soon, who has no drivers license, and is very short on money.
So the 29 in bike it will be (as the 32in bike is still good for me, but too large for him)!

I'm going to do some readup on the Genesis Onyx 29, before purchase!

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
Hey whats with the weight comment....Im "fluffy"! lol I got the 66cc since I am so fluffy I thought Id need the power to haul me around. I dont notice any excessive vibration but then again, it takes more to move me.

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
No offense meant with the weight mate! ;-)

I'm just trying to compare, to see the strength of the frame, and performance of the engine in my situation to whatever info I got from other users/riders.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Keeping your latest posts in mind (about possibly passing off the bike to a friend) I think a good way for you to go is buy the WM bike and a motor kit and build up a stock configuration first. Whether it be 48cc (preferred in States where 50cc Max is written into the law) or 66cc isn't a huge issue. Since you were initially inclined to push the limits of a 2-stroke kit I would probably suggest you go 66cc (if the law allows) so you can get an idea what power is available from the largest motor. After you have completed your first build and rode enough to break in the motor you will have gone through the learning curve we all go through on our first build, THEN you can access the whole situation from a point of experience. If you decide to tackle a second build you will have more experience with a motorized bicycle and be better able to logically access and achieve your initial goals.... and when you pass off your first build to your friend you will have someone to ride with...brnot

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
Keeping your latest posts in mind (about possibly passing off the bike to a friend) I think a good way for you to go is buy the WM bike and a motor kit and build up a stock configuration first. Whether it be 48cc (preferred in States where 50cc Max is written into the law) or 66cc isn't a huge issue. Since you were initially inclined to push the limits of a 2-stroke kit I would probably suggest you go 66cc (if the law allows) so you can get an idea what power is available from the largest motor. After you have completed your first build and rode enough to break in the motor you will have gone through the learning curve we all go through on our first build, THEN you can access the whole situation from a point of experience. If you decide to tackle a second build you will have more experience with a motorized bicycle and be better able to logically access and achieve your initial goals.... and when you pass off your first build to your friend you will have someone to ride with...brnot
I like your logic, how you think; and can agree to that!