fuel gauge for bike

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
HI I was thinging if you could make a fuel gauge for a motorized bike.
My idea is that you have wire going into the tank connected to something that will float ,so when it full it will float to top and will push the wire out of the tank and have a gauge on the handlebars to measure the wire.
Very "Piper Cub-ish".

Hmmmm a new paint scheme?

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
When I was younger we had a lawn mower that had a "Cat's Eye" mounted at almost the bottom on the side of the tank. As long as it was amber you had gas. I think it was a hex style made of plastic with a little sight glass built into it. I do remember that it had a round cork gasket for a seal. You just unscrewed it and replaced the gasket. Also that's how you cleaned the tank. Gas will not burn. Fumes will! If I were to drill into a metal tank I would fill it to the top with water and then drill the hole. Any members that do not know what there doing! gas can KILL you. Fumes will turn the tank into a bomb! I think we got the gaskets at Western Auto. It's been years.

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
I think the (J-3 Cub) floating cork with a wire sticking through the cap would work. If I do it I will put some rigid tubing soldered to the cap to hold the wire straight up and the gas won't slosh out. If you make one let us know how and how good.

majdan

Dec 15, 2009
Canby, OR
I'll post some pic when I finish the build and I figure out how to post pictures but it is really as easy as 2 holes, 2 brass elbows and a peice of clear fuel line.

trailblazerpete

Dec 12, 2009
Kitchener Ontario
Carry a Water Bottle in it's proper holder, I prefer a silver color so Sun doesn't overheat it, use it to carry spare mixed fuel, just in case you run out...problem solved...or call CAA,AAA for a refill from you're cell phone....lol

ut1205

Jul 4, 2009
Tennessee
Back in the 60's I logged some flight time in a 1946 Ercoupe. It had three fuel tanks and the only gauge was a piece of wire with a cork on the bottom that extended through a hole in the cap. Each tank had its on gauge. Wire was bent into a "hook" at the top so even when it hit bottom you still had some reserve left. Must work........I never ran out of fuel (well almost one time but not the gauge fault).

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
lol trailblazerpete, it's not so much running out of fuel I'm concerned with (A: can pedal B: can look in tank) it's simply the "stylie factor" I'm after heh, but yeah - good tip tho ;)

ut1205 - I had a buddy with a Super Koala (ultralight version of Piper Cub) with that epic "cork & wire" gauge, talk about a simple and reliable mechanism lol, o'course my lil plane had a semi-clear tank in the wing above - so I had but to look up ;)

trailblazerpete

Dec 12, 2009
Kitchener Ontario
I like the idea of a cork and spoke in a small tube soldered to the gas cap,wondering though, where do you find a tube the diameter of a spoke?...might also look cool with a small dice glued to the protruding end of the spoke....

XFired

Dec 29, 2009
Waterloo Ontario
Ok,so I drilled a small diameter hole the same dia.as the spoke,inserted spoke through the cap,attatched a cork,now I have a gas gauge,that simple...Full tank the spoke is high out of the tank,empty tank,the spoke end sits on the gas cap...

XFired

Dec 29, 2009
Waterloo Ontario
I checked those links, too long,and,according to my Lawn Mower that has one,that cap wont fit...these are threaded onto the gas tank filler...

Last edited:

cnodie1

Jan 27, 2010
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Ok,so I drilled a small diameter hole the same dia.as the spoke,inserted spoke through the cap,attatched a cork,now I have a gas gauge,that simple...Full tank the spoke is high out of the tank,empty tank,the spoke end sits on the gas cap...
can you put up a picture of what you did to the cap, im interested in making a simple gauge

twowheeledfox

Oct 21, 2009
Houston TX
The best way without making a gauge (if you have a rear rack) is to simply bungee a spare jerry can (1 Gallon works alright for normal riding, 2 Gallon gives it a good enough range for serious riding). Just pull over and fill up when you run out. Also helps to make the premixing less irritating and lets drivers know they are not passing a bicycle.