fuel gauge for bike

GoldenMotor.com

4wdingman

Aug 26, 2008
Coffs Harbour, Australia
HI I was thinging if you could make a fuel gauge for a motorized bike.
My idea is that you have wire going into the tank connected to something that will float ,so when it full it will float to top and will push the wire out of the tank and have a gauge on the handlebars to measure the wire.

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
That's a great idea; I like gauges and stuff, it's like playing dress up!

I currently use the "Shake & Listen" method for checking my fuel level.:D

Really though, an old-school speedometer, a fuel gauge and maybe even engine temp! Slap some mirrors and a headlight with a visor on it and that'll look sweet!

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
That's a great idea; I like gauges and stuff, it's like playing dress up!

I currently use the "Shake & Listen" method for checking my fuel level.:D

Really though, an old-school speedometer, a fuel gauge and maybe even engine temp! Slap some mirrors and a headlight with a visor on it and that'll look sweet!
Oh yeah, baby! Pimp my MBc!

Seriously, a nice, low key but informative guage cluster would be very nice indeed.

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
i remember an old lawn tractor i had that used a gauge right in the gas cap...the thing had a downward pole that spun and had a float on it. so when the float dropped the needle spun to Empty...wonder if we could make one?

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
I HAVE AN ANALOG SPEEDO WITH A MILE COUNTER ON IT AND WHEN I GET TO A 50 OR A 00 ITS STRAIGHT TO THE GAS CAN. AND ITS NOT THAT I DONT TRUST YOUR SKILLS OR MINE BUT I DONT WANT TO CHANCE RUNNING POWER WIRES INTO A GAS TANK LOCATED LESS THAN ONE FOOT FROM MY CROTCH :eek:

velardejose

Sep 9, 2008
Lima, Peru
Hi
Its a good idea
Maybe a wheel spoke with a carb float on one end, the other goes through the tank cap
Just to know when it goes below 1/4 and tank it
Peace

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
When I built my gas tank I was toying with the idea of a fule gage. I think all that would be nessary would be a clear fule line connected to the shut off valve and the other end connected to the gas cap. Would work like a coffee pot gage. The gas level would be visible in the hose. But I did not do it. I just watch the mileage.

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Speedometers: I would like to get that round analog one with the checkered flags on it. I doubt it's seriously accurate, but it's probably close enough. I would want to mount it centered somehow, like on the neck.

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
Speedometers: I would like to get that round analog one with the checkered flags on it. I doubt it's seriously accurate, but it's probably close enough. I would want to mount it centered somehow, like on the neck.
my brother has one on his bike when you accelerate its kinda jumpy but once you are in cruise speed its pretty accurate with +/- 2 mph so is 60's analog one i bought