Twist grip clutch??

GoldenMotor.com

greasy tom

Feb 9, 2010
Olympic Peninsula WA
I have had several clutch lever problems on my cruiser w/ 80cc Chinese kit, although mostly minor I'd like to come up with something more durable.
I was looking at a throttle twist grip assembly and wondered if any of you folks ever tried to replace the clutch lever with a twist grip?
I was wondering if the leverage and cable travel would be adequate or do you think this is just a "carpal tunnel" candidate?
I found a source (see link) for these throttle grips for $ .99 each which got me to thinkin'..........

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=1-1935&catname=

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
The difference between your gripping ability and your holding an turning ability is substantial. If your clutch was real light in pull- you have a shot at it.
The HT clutch I grabbed was like a bear trap.
Look at making the angles better down on the engine.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
is your clutch cable hooked up correctly??? the large spring is a heat sheild and shouldnt be in between the mount and arm....just an idea cause a friend of mine had clutch lever problems and it was due to him miss placing that spring....he was getting a strong left forearm pulling that through all the stop signs in town

Bikesnfire

Jul 17, 2010
PA
I use the 3 speed Sram grip shifter for the clutch. It locks in different positions and is very easy to operate. I have 4 bikes using them right now and I really like the way they work. The clutch levers supplied with the kits are basically junk. I say give a grip shift a try. Mine work great and my future builds will have them also.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Cable lube isa wonderful thing ;)

I'm really not being snarky lol - I keep seein' ppl complain about the stiff clutch and the junk levers, even folks around here where I live... yet I've found if the smaller spring that's "supposed" to help with return is discarded (not the bigger heat shield one) as unnecessary, the cable itself is routed smoothly w/o sharp bends and well lubricated (it's dry out of the box), even a lil dab o'grease on the actuator pivot & ramp - and the clutch becomes remarkably light & easy to pull...

I suppose there could easily be variance from kit to kit, but I've "tuned" five bikes like that so far with excellent results *shrug*

Not to say that a twist clutch wouldn't be neat (one less lever) or that the pulley mod isn't interesting - but I've simply not found them to be necessary for the reasons stated...

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Cable lube isa wonderful thing ;)

I'm really not being snarky lol - I keep seein' ppl complain about the stiff clutch and the junk levers, even folks around here where I live... yet I've found if the smaller spring that's "supposed" to help with return is discarded (not the bigger heat shield one) as unnecessary, the cable itself is routed smoothly w/o sharp bends and well lubricated (it's dry out of the box), even a lil dab o'grease on the actuator pivot & ramp - and the clutch becomes remarkably light & easy to pull...

I suppose there could easily be variance from kit to kit, but I've "tuned" five bikes like that so far with excellent results *shrug*

Not to say that a twist clutch wouldn't be neat (one less lever) or that the pulley mod isn't interesting - but I've simply not found them to be necessary for the reasons stated...
While I agree with you, I also discarded the spring, lubricated the cable and made as smooth a route for the cable/housing, my clutch wasn't all that bad. I picked up the roller idea from a member on another forum and thought I try it to see how well it worked. I have both, more materials and tools then the above average bike builder, so making one wasn't a issue. With the roller I can tie a piece of 6# test mono fishing line to the handle, pull and disengage the clutch (that makes it a one finger operation if you choose). I doubt, that can be done with the best installed OEM clutch cable set up using the original mounting. I get nothing but praises when the roller mod is used.

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
Twist grip clutches were used on some motorcycles back in the early days (1900-20). Of course the clutches were more primitive but they seemed to work as well as moving a lever along side the tank, this was before they had foot clutches. So I don't see why it wouldn't work in today's world as long as your clutch is working properly.