Spluttering Motor

GoldenMotor.com

mick29

Jun 8, 2009
Salisbury East
One of my bikes runs a lot rougher than the others I thought it might be the carby ive played around with that but it still runs rough. It starts easy but when you open up the throttle it splutters and jolts abit. Could it be an electrical problem, not a strong enough spark QUESTION how will a motor run with a faulty magneto or coil. I always thought it was a fuel problem maybe you guys out there put your heads together I cant work it out myself thanks mick29 PS Happy Riding

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Is it a newer motor that isn't fully broken in yet? Is it 4-stroking (firing every other stroke)? What color is the plug's electrode?

Just a wild guess - but if it's anything like mine it may still be a little rich. For the longest time I thought I had ignition system problems, it turned out to just be on the rich side lol

If it IS a new(er) motor - some take longer than others to snap out of it. I'd suggest going to a 32:1 mix to eliminate any potential oil fouling and adjusting the fuel/air until the electrode shows a milk-chocolate color.

If you've aready done this - don't mind me and just ride the **** outa it :D

Mine took over 250mi to actually "break in" and start runnin' right. That may have been unusual though...