Tire Size question

GoldenMotor.com

Deadend

Aug 19, 2009
ca
I've got a 2.2 cruiser tire on the back w/ a standard old beach cruiser coaster brake.

even with the sprocket flipped, it looks like the drive chain will still come in contact with the tire. Anyone run into this?

I just want this 2smoker pinging down the street already. What tire size would you guys recommend w/ a stock sprocket - and / or - is there a kit I could use in order to still use my 2.2 ?

Last edited by a moderator:

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
I would keep the largest tire that you could run. You could try to add another rag ring to the outer side of the tire to gain some clearence. Most of my builds have the same issue...I try and keep atleast a 1/4" clearence between the chain and tire.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I found once I ditched the Chinese chain that came in the kit and went with the #41 chain (also made in China so go figure) I lost all the black stripes on my whitewall. Seems like the chain that comes with the kit has a LOT of side to side play.

Deadend

Aug 19, 2009
ca
i appreciate the feed back

So what it comes down to (and i went snoopin)

the hub + rim IF U BUY A COMPLETE are complementary

that being said. my 1.75 pre build wheel has no chance suffering a 2.2 tire - because the hub is just enough for the rim

sad day indeed - its a 30$ tire and it looks so nice :( :-||

Deadend

Aug 19, 2009
ca
I found once I ditched the Chinese chain that came in the kit and went with the #41 chain (also made in China so go figure) I lost all the black stripes on my whitewall. Seems like the chain that comes with the kit has a LOT of side to side play.
im not talking slap.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
a 2.2 should fit on a 1.75 rim. most new rims you can buy are advertised as "1.75-2.125"

i've done it before...

my first bike had the old Carlisle Aggressor 2.125's on it. i've got the bigger chain, and it rubbed, but not enough to bother me. it just used to lube up my sidewall.

i've got some Kenda Kommuter 2.0s" on it now, and no chain rub at all. but i think i've got the perfect bike for it. it's a 1956 Goodyear Hi Way Patrol Special, and i don't need a chain tensioner, and i just had to whack the rear fender with a rubber mallet a few times to make the chain clear.

sorry, didn't mean to rub it in...

Attachments