Cable end solder?

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
soldering the end of my cable made me go 45mph uphill...

i know, 2door. i was just kidding.

here's a good tip regarding clutch cables:

cut down the adjuster on the engine. it'll give you a smoother pull. if you look at yours, i'll bet your cable is slowly cutting through the end.

you've got an adjuster on the lever, and you can always adjust it at the cable end, so you don't need the extra length.

(i know, my cable's frayed. i ran out of solder...)

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
soldering the end of my cable made me go 45mph uphill...

i know, 2door. i was just kidding.

cut down the adjuster on the engine. it'll give you a smoother pull. if you look at yours, i'll bet your cable is slowly cutting through the end.

you've got an adjuster on the lever, and you can always adjust it at the cable end, so you don't need the extra length.

bairdco,
I think there's a thread here somewhere that will tell you how to solder that cable so it won't fray like that. :)
Tom

Srjeeper

Aug 15, 2009
NE Pa.

bairdco,

here's something else to try for a smoother clutch pull, but you'll need a longer cable and your on your own if it needs soldering.... YouTube - 70cc bicycle engine clutch mod

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i saw that before, that's a good set up. i've got some old throttle linkage pieces laying around, and i'm gonna see if i can rig up an aircraft bearing that pivots, for the cable housing to go into, and i've got another mod to get rid of the "pinch bolt / cable cutter" on the end of the clutch arm.

i'll let you all know how it works.

Alajoyn

Sep 28, 2009
Portage, MI
Something I use on bikes are copper electrical wiring crimp rings. Just slide cable in and crimp with side cutters. They look nice and you can always cut through them later if you want to remove/adjust the cable. A box of them at Lowes or hardware store is cheap. I have my clutch cable cut flush tho since the "rub room" is tight near leg.
Alajoyn