Chain problem

GoldenMotor.com

Bmetz

Sep 21, 2009
Indiana
I am having problem getting the chain to work right. I tried the tensioner but limited luck.

My motor twists slightly in the frame could this be the problem?

I am going today for a new motor mount by modding a electric farm motor mount.

If this does not fix the problem I am thinking I will try a belt drive conversion.

Has this been done with a grubee motor b4?

Stats grubee 66 cc engine

damondback ful size cruiser bike with front suspension.

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
I am having problem getting the chain to work right. I tried the tensioner but limited luck.

My motor twists slightly in the frame could this be the problem?

I am going today for a new motor mount by modding a electric farm motor mount.

If this does not fix the problem I am thinking I will try a belt drive conversion.

Has this been done with a grubee motor b4?

Stats grubee 66 cc engine

damondback ful size cruiser bike with front suspension.

You need to tighten the mount bolts, the motor is not ment to move.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You should be able to get the engine on straight and then tighten it sufficiently.

What is causing it to be crooked?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
There are three things that you must do...
#1 Make sure your rear sprocket spins perfectly straight!!!
#2 Make sure your chain tensioner is feeding the chain straight onto the rear sprocket & then drill a hole & SCREW IT INTO THE FRAME!!! You can also bend the tensioner to make it line up with the chain a little better.
#3 Make sure your engine isn't moving around... NO RUBBER MOUNTS!

Last edited:

pedal pusher

Feb 20, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Venice Boy,

What is easiest way to bend the chain tensioner? I put the chain on today after removing some links and when everything looks good and lined up, the roller seems to be a little off, like it may run in a bind.
Thanks,
D. J. Pedal Pusher

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Venice Boy,

What is easiest way to bend the chain tensioner? I put the chain on today after removing some links and when everything looks good and lined up, the roller seems to be a little off, like it may run in a bind.
Thanks,
D. J. Pedal Pusher
Put it in a vice & bend it with a large adjustable wrench... Or just use two wrenches.
You can "fine tune" it with a hammer.

Bmetz

Sep 21, 2009
Indiana
Ok I got the chain issue worked out. I got the number 43 chain from tractor supply, the rubber spring mounted chain tensioner from tractor supply and re mounted the engine with a bit of plumbing rubber seal in the mounts to dampen the vibration.

although now I have bent the rim cause the chain jumped off while getting the whole mess aligned right and got caught up.

next purchase is HD axle and good rim.

Asked local bike shop about respoking wheel and they quoted me $70! Guess I will find a youtube tutorial to do it myself. Any suggestions on where to buy the 12ga spokes online?

Bmetz

Sep 21, 2009
Indiana
with even the wobbling rim i still have hit 30mph or so.

note when you get a chinese kit, remove all the bolts nuts and studs and replace with good American hardware. also get some good lock washers and thread lock

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Got coaster brake? I bought the whole (12G spoke HD rim) wheel for $43 at my LBS.

Bmetz

Sep 21, 2009
Indiana
caliper brakes front and back, would like to find a nice disc brake. saw a guy in cali who had fabbed a disc brake setup on the front but i suspect that i will have to buy a high end fork with a disc brake installed already to avoid the endless experimentation and wasting of $

Bmetz

Sep 21, 2009
Indiana
There are three things that you must do...
#1 Make sure your rear sprocket spins perfectly straight!!!
#2 Make sure your chain tensioner is feeding the chain straight onto the rear sprocket & then drill a hole & SCREW IT INTO THE FRAME!!! You can also bend the tensioner to make it line up with the chain a little better.
#3 Make sure your engine isn't moving around... NO RUBBER MOUNTS!
was screwed into the frame, drilled the hole bigger where the water bottle was supposed to be mounted.

fixed the problem by shimming the bolt head so there was no play and used some large washers and 2 nuts+thread compound on the other side.

I have a 1.25 inch frame and the motor mounts that came with the kit were for a 1 inch frame.

btw if you strip the front studs on the grubee motor mounts, there is a "help" brand water pump stud kit that works as a perfect replacement for 4 dollars. still looking for some good rear stud bolts to replace the cheap chinese ones on the rear motor mounts. they are easily stripped.