Aluminum Genesis frame prep?

GoldenMotor.com

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
Hello! I am trying to compile a list of things my bicycle needs before I can bestow the motor in a loving fashion... I know it would be good preparation to:

-Put on new tires and wheel bearings (or at least grease them)
-Design a rubber engine mount that will hold tight yet avoid unwanted vibrations
-Build a comfortable set of handlebars

I would like to begin with the handlebars, as I have been wanting to do so for quite some time!I am going to try for an angry ape design. I have a plan in my head to use some sheet metal and bolts to make a jig to get them symmetrical and the best angle to compliment my frame.

Is there anything else I need to take into consideration in order to have a smooth transition when I install a motor?

usflg

Last edited:

BobbyT

Mar 16, 2014
Santa Maria ca.
Do some research! Do not use rubber you want a solid secure mounted engine.The google custom search near the top of the page will give you lots of good info. There are things you can do if you have to mutch vibration. You may not have any. Get your build done first and go from there. Have fun,that is what is important. Good Luck!

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Two words- Sprocket adapter. The 48 spoke rims complicate the rag joint installation. I can vouch for the 'Manic Mechanic' one, it works and looks great and is easy to install. It ain't cheap, though. (ouch)

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Do some research! Do not use rubber you want a solid secure mounted engine.The google custom search near the top of the page will give you lots of good info. There are things you can do if you have to mutch vibration. You may not have any. Get your build done first and go from there. Have fun,that is what is important. Good Luck!
I can vouch for a solid mounting, too. My bike has a smoothy from DAX on it, I haven't really noticed any vibration at all. No rubber nothin ;)

Learned it right here, too.
.wee.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
You may hear otherwise but the aluminum frame has served me well, I have built three and helped on a fourth o.p. cruiser aluminum framed bike. They are all still solid with no vibration problems, as said above mount the engine solid to the frame. My first bike is almost 5 years old so the above method works.

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
Good to know! I probably would have wound up with a chain popping off all the time, now that I think about it... I am glad to hear about the aluminum frame being a good one, I lie the style of it a lot!

Would that sprocket adapter be alright on the stock walmart rims? I would like to be upgrading to a new wheelset with disk brakes, but If that doesn't happen I will have to make these work. (I will at least get high performance brake pads)

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
My rims are the originals. I only have about 60 or 70 miles on them so can't guarantee they will hold up. They seem fine, so far. I dodge bumps, holes and curbs, though. I don't go very fast, either. I average about 18.
Now that I think about it, your rear hub may be a different size because mine is a coaster hub, which fits the MM large adapter. It has to fit the hub exactly or it won't clamp on right. No worries, they make different sizes if you need one.
The adapter makes sprocket alignment a snap, too. Mine was off a tad (just the first guess) and I just loosened it up and tapped it over with a rubber mallet.
The adapter automatically squares up the sprocket, no real run-out on any axis.
It's a nice improvement over a rag, and the sprocket is aluminum so it saves some weight.

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Motojoe- Hello. My name's Trey, and I learned how to build gas-bikes here.
It may help you to take a look at my latest build. Searching: "29 inch Genesis Onex- 4 stroke" should get you there.
Good luck, and stay with it until you get what you want.