What problems might i encouter

GoldenMotor.com

flaughert

May 20, 2014
Milford, OH
fuji.jpg Other than the down tube what other problems might i have mounting an engine inside this frame? I'm planning on putting a 48cc 2stroke kit on it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Without measurements I can't be sure but my first impression is that a Chinese 2 stroke won't fit in the space you have. Than downward tilt to the toptube is going to present some problems as well as the oversized downtube.

You might try the search feature. Type in the bike name/model and see if anyone else has motorized one like yours. You might find mounting help and/or if it can be done.
Tom

flaughert

May 20, 2014
Milford, OH
I used a piece of cardboard cut to the dimensions listed on bikeberry of 8.5 X 7 and was able to find it fit but it was very tight. if not in frame what would be suggested?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I used a piece of cardboard cut to the dimensions listed on bikeberry of 8.5 X 7 and was able to find it fit but it was very tight. if not in frame what would be suggested?
Rack mount. Either chain or friction drive is an option. There's always the electric route too. Hub motors and batteries might be an alternative to internal combustion.

If you're set on a gas powered, in-frame engine then you might want to look for a different bike and save that one for pedaling.

You said your cardboard template was "very tight". Where were your clearance issues? A slant plug head might give you the frame clearance needed. There are also off-set intake manifolds that will place the carburetor off to the side for seat tube clearance.

Tom

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Yes. It looks like a tight fit. Maybe an engine'll fit in there. But it's likely to be difficult.
And it might be impossible. It's too bad because that does look like a nice bike for the job.

But I'm finding myself in agreement with 2Door; maybe that bike should stay as your pedaler.

You can get a perfectly adequate beach cruiser for about $100. And installation will be much simpler.

In either case, best of luck and keep us posted.

flaughert

May 20, 2014
Milford, OH
Well I'm gonna get the engine and if it doesn't fit I'll just get a bike from my work, I build bikes for walmart. Thanks for the help, ill keep ya'll posted on my progress.

mr42ndstblvd

Nov 10, 2013
oklahoma
you need to get an offset intake i can almost guess your carb is not going to fit also getting that chain to the back wheel will be a tight fit to

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Well i got the motor and its tight but it fits
http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=70699&stc=1&d=1402341817
now to get everything on the bike so i can get to riding.
What are you going to do about a carburetor? You're going to have to resort to some kind of offset intake manifold. Some vendors sell them of if you have metal working skills and a welder you could make your own. There have even been a few who have used rubber hose as a manifold although that is an iffy prospect. Securing the carburetor from vibration is just one problem with hose.

The front mount looks okay and I'm sure you know it will need bolts to span the width of the down tube. We can't see the rear mount. How does it fit the seat tube?

If you have spark plug clearance issues there are 'shorty' plugs that will work. I've used Autolite #2976 with good results in tight fit builds. The cylinder head can also be rotated 180 degrees to slant the plug away from obstructions.

Good work so far. Keep us posted and good luck.

I enhanced your photo so others can see the details better. Hope you don't mind.

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

copmagnet80cc

Jan 7, 2014
Ohio
What are you going to do about a carburetor? You're going to have to resort to some kind of offset intake manifold. Some vendors sell them of if you have metal working skills and a welder you could make your own. There have even been a few who have used rubber hose as a manifold although that is an iffy prospect. Securing the carburetor from vibration is just one problem with hose.

The front mount looks okay and I'm sure you know it will need bolts to span the width of the down tube. We can't see the rear mount. How does it fit the seat tube?

If you have spark plug clearance issues there are 'shorty' plugs that will work. I've used Autolite #2976 with good results in tight fit builds. The cylinder head can also be rotated 180 degrees to slant the plug away from obstructions.

Good work so far. Keep us posted and good luck.

I enhanced your photo so others can see the details better. Hope you don't mind.

Tom
Champion CJ8's are shorty plugs and are equivelant to the NGK b5hs which is what I use

lucajo16

Dec 12, 2013
cincinnati, ohio
hay its nice to get a message from you. I got a bike from Wal-Mart for my first bike and I have to say that if you do go with one without a coaster break. The break failed on my bike but I didn't crash thank god. I replaced the wheel and its kinda holding up but im unsure. I need to get some locktite for that side mount bolt. my next build is going to be on a JC Higgins bike and will be coaster break but it wont be anything accept a sportsmen cycles wheels. anyways I don't think that bike will fit the motor in my opnion. Should get something better suited