Proper canidate?

GoldenMotor.com

Reeko236

Sep 13, 2014
Texas
I've never built a motorbike before, but I have experience working on cars and motorcycles for years so i'd consider myself fairly proficient in DIY mechanics (i've rigged sportbikes together like you wouldn't believe).

I want to build a motorbike, and I have a 2010-ish Specialized hardrock 26 with disk brakes. Do you reckon this bike would be a good canidate for a little 2-stroke? I am just concerned about the engine fitting in the frame. Also, is there a brand of engine you would suggest? I'd like to get a kit, and I'm looking to spend around $200, maybe up to $250 Thanksfor the help!

Last edited:

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Frame on that bike looks a little tight to me and after doing an image search on Bing for your bike in motorized form...it yielded no images of that particular bike motorized. Not saying it can't or hasn't been done, but I just couldn't find an example. Of course there are other options other then in frame mounted engines like friction drive setups, electric hubs, etc. etc.

If you insist on a frame mounted engine then I can tell you that even with your small budget...a motorized bicycle is still within your reach. $88 Huffy Cranbrook at Walmart and $140 2 stroke "Happy Time" engine kit found at many retailers. That leaves you with a few bucks to spare to buy some upgraded innertubes and some extra reinforcement hardware needed if you intend to use fenders.

$250 will not buy the best motorized bike setup, but it will get you started in the hobby and put a fun ride under your buns for a minimal investment. You can always upgrade to a better bike and engine later as funds allow.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Also, is there a brand of engine you would suggest?
The 66cc "Happy Time " or "China girl" engine kits are basically the same. However some do have better casting finish then others and some claim to have upgraded Japaneese bearings and a few other improvements. Some specs may vary between them like port size, head design, perhaps sprocket size, style of clutch handle or grips, tank size, chain guard design, etc. etc. However they all are basically the same with most parts the same from model name to model name in latest model kits.

I would say the main thing to look for in a kit in my opinion would probably be the claimed bearing upgrade and also to buy from one of the reputable retailers found all over the web that specialize in these kits. Feedback and reviews are easy to find on most of the major retailers and the particular engine kits they sell. All the "China girl" engine kits can be a bit of a gamble, but I have yet to get a bad one out of the several I have bought. Do a little research here in the 2 cycle section of this website and I am sure you can come up with a kit that will serve you well.

Good luck and keep us informed of your new adventures in the hobby!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Many Specialized Hardrocks have been motorized. I prefer the older steel framed Hardrocks for motorizing but they can be tough to find.
Front disk brakes are great. Rear disk brakes can get in the way of mounting the engine sprocket. It can be done with a Tophat adaptor.
Adding a shift kit will also make it easier to keep the rear disk brake. The shift kit may not fit your budget.
If your disk brake equipped bicycle frame also has rim brake mounting posts on the rear, you could remove the disk and caliper and run a rim brake on the rear.
There are many ways to add a motor kit to a bike with rear disk brakes.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
been a 'cycle mechanic almost 55 years now & first 4 or 5 of these left me talking to myself - was little info about these available back then (5 years ago) and it took a while to learn what was going to work and what wasn't

get the cheapest bike & kit you can for the first one

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
If you are like me, the kit won't be the end of the money you'll be spending. I'm waay over budget, mostly because of shipping parts from all over the country, and buying a bicycle with 48 spoke rims. Stick to a 26" that already has a front brake and 36 spoke rims and you'll save mucho bucks right there. The chain tensioner in my kit is trash. I can feel another shopping spree coming on already. The fuel valve is so stiff and cheapo I don't want to use it, either. I hate gas leaks.
Then there's paint. I spent about 42 bucks just for paint, plastidip and acetone. A bag of 100 11" black wire ties, $17. If I added it all up I'd probably go into motor bike rehab, or at least have a cat-scan.
This thing had better be fun, that's all I gotta say. :D
brnot

Reeko236

Sep 13, 2014
Texas
Thanks for all the replies!!! Glad to see that this is an active forum!!

Here are pictures of the bike in question. I figure I will go ahead and order a kit, and if it doesn't fit, I'll just find another bike that will work. Please excuse the blurry numbers on the tape, I have included the measurements. Thanks!

14 inches

about a foot

14 inches

Another question - any have experience using their motorbike for light trail use? I plan on fabricating some heavy-duty engine mounts with rubber dampeners that match the contours of the frame (I can weld), but am wondering if the extra vibration of trail riding will be too rough on the components regardless of how well it's mounted. Thanks in advance!

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
First go to one of the engine supplyers and there should be a picture of the engine size and you can make a card board pattern,forgot just witch one.

Second never mount with rubber it seams to just maltiply the vibs. Do the search at the top but there is a big descusion on it. They say the best is just a good wide solid mount...................Curt

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
use some pieces of PVC pipe rather than rubber - it will prevent vibes from cutting frame

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
My motorize MTB is a 2010 Specialized HardRock with a 19" frame. I think it's a great candidate for motorizing. I beat the snot out of it and any problem I have ever had I documented it on the forum.

Without going through my thread the only thing I can remember having a real problem with this bike is I had a brake problem with the calipers. The adjuster screw would sometimes back out on its own. I solved that problem with a little blue loctite.

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
The odd shapes to the down tube is gonna make this a challenge.

There's no way you can find an older, steel-cro-moly framed MTBwith about a 20" seat-tube length frame? Space between the top tube and downtube is going to be critical and that Specialized is a better bike for just pedal riding.

IMO...