Lost my clutch lever spring

GoldenMotor.com

superslimjimmy

Jul 31, 2014
Cambridge, MA
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums here and I need some help. I lost the spring for my clutch lever and I don't even know what it looked like. A picture of the clutch is attached, can anyone show me what the spring should look like so I can find a replacement?

By the way, is this the "russian" clutch listed on the forums? There are lots of mentions but no pictures still around. For what its worth, I think it works well for letting me use a brake and clutch with the same hand.

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums here and I need some help. I lost the spring for my clutch lever and I don't even know what it looked like. A picture of the clutch is attached, can anyone show me what the spring should look like so I can find a replacement?

By the way, is this the "russian" clutch listed on the forums? There are lots of mentions but no pictures still around. For what its worth, I think it works well for letting me use a brake and clutch with the same hand.

Don't quote me on this but I am under the belief these type of clutch levers don't use a spring and all the tension is from the motors side ( the spring that is fitted on the cable end between the cable stop and lever ) yes some do come with a small return spring but that should have little to no effect on the dis/engagement of the clutch

Regards Henshooter

superslimjimmy

Jul 31, 2014
Cambridge, MA
Thanks for the reply. It is that small return spring that I am referring to. I felt it pop out as I was riding and now the locking mechanism no longer automatically engages when the lever is pulled.

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
I have one of the button lock levers and find them to be far superior to the old style ,they aren't to expensive and are very reliable ,instead of fussing with finding a suitable spring you could temporarily use an elastic band and replace the lever ,I've included a pic of the eBay item but can't post links via my ipad
Good luck

Regards Henshooter

Attachments

superslimjimmy

Jul 31, 2014
Cambridge, MA
Yeah I have seen those options but it seems to me that most people use them alone on the left and have a dual pull brake on the right. My current setup allowed me to use the clutch and front brake on the left. Do you find you are able to press the button if you have a brake handle angled above the clutch?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Yeah I have seen those options but it seems to me that most people use them alone on the left and have a dual pull brake on the right. My current setup allowed me to use the clutch and front brake on the left. Do you find you are able to press the button if you have a brake handle angled above the clutch?
Some folks seem to have trouble manipulating a button lock clutch lever and brake on the same bar. For me it is just feels natural. My fingers do what needs to be done and I don't even think about it. When coming to a stop I pull the clutch lever, lock it with the button and then automatically move to the brake and apply pressure.

It probably depends on how much/often you ride your bike. If only occasionally it would seem awkward but the more you ride the more natural it becomes. Many of us are not fans of dual pull brake levers instead preferring the ability to 'choose' how much pressure to apply to the front or rear brake depending on conditions.

Just one man's opinion.

Tom

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
For me it is just feels natural. My fingers do what needs to be done and I don't even think about it. When coming to a stop I pull the clutch lever, lock it with the button and then automatically move to the brake and apply pressure
Just one man's opinion.

Tom
I have to agree whole heartidly with Tom ,using a duel brake lever just doesn't feel natural to me and somewhat plays with my nerves ,I find the button lock clutch levers much more appealing and natural as I also lock the clutch and apply the nessisary pressure to stop forward travel ,
I've heard a few story's of your style of levers jamming up due to the return spring snapping or releasing in travel and causing a few minor accidents but that is hearsay I have yet to actually witness this first hand .
The button lock clutch lever IMHO is the better of the two designs and very simple to use and IMHO MUCH MORE OF A FOOL PROOF STURDIER SYSTEM
I suppose it's all up to the riders abilities whilst under travel but for me it's now a completely natural process that feels right.

From the pic I posted earlier in the thread it would cost as little as $10 to ship one to you and try it out ,if you don't like it it's a very small loss otherwise I'm sure you could salvage a small spring from a child's spring action toy (cap guns use this style of spring ) and modify it to suit your needs .

Let us know which way you go

Kindest regards Henshooten

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Oh I have also never run the brake above the clutch ,it doesn't feel right ,I've always fitted the clutch lever at the level of the brake and lowered the brake lever to suit

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
...all the tension is from the motors side ( the spring that is fitted on the cable end between the cable stop and lever ) Regards Henshooter
Actually all that thin spring between the cable stop and clutch arm does is make your clutch harder to pull and I just throw them away.
Your clutch pressure plate is more than enough to pull the lever back.