Just for fun: whats the biggest motor fitted to a bike?

GoldenMotor.com

empire steve

Nov 29, 2013
las vegas
Im the fastest bike builder in the west .lol In my ten years of building i built a 100 or more bikes some motorized the rest pedal. Its a disease with me and its terminal! And still have 2 kids a wife and i work 6 days a week at my regular job!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Ooooo....! I like that rig Steve

I bet that thing is a real hoot to ride, very unique design...

Wow at 50 MPH I bet that thing could be squirrely with those small wheels and tires, I built a friction drive bike one time that was short lived and pretty much a two day throw together rig, but even at about 20 MPH the 20" wheels made that thing touchy, just a little movement and it wanted to do a donut it seemed.

that thing looks really comfortable to me andsince it has pedles it still qualifies as a bicycle... nice work Steve.

Map

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
All right folks here it is. the 212cc 60mph fwd recumbent lowracer!
Oh no you have once again released the beast........!

Now that that thing looks scary my friend, I'm sure the current condition doesn't do justice to what it once was when it was set up to cruise, but I can see how you done it up.

Did the frame have much flex in it?

Looks like some pretty light duty tubing from front to rear assembly that seat is attached to, maybe there are some things I'm just not seeing in the pic.

just a good ole boy having some fun and building a cool toy is what I see going on there, I'd like to take one of my old harbor freight engines and make me a scooter for cruising the back roads around here similar to what you done there, I'd do mine without peddles and just use it like a mini bike I think and never ride on the main roads or to town, although I may get away with it since we actually have people here who ride there lawn mowers and even those big tire mini bikes around town like tractor supply sells and the police dont sen to mind.

Map

empire steve

Nov 29, 2013
las vegas
It was pretty stable after we added a rear swing arm and lengthened the wheelbase, mapbike. The suicide shifter clutch combo made things really interesting!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Oh yeah the wheel base length does play a big part in how stable it is, thats probably what made my little friction drive bike so squirrely, it is a 20" Diamond Back BMX bike and its short and small framed for a kid or light weight fella, I'm not a big man at 5' 10' 215lbs but that bike felt small to me..

map

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Suicide shifter clutch combo?

you lost me on this one... I see a standard centrifugal clutch on that engine in the pic, what am I missing?

sounds interesting.

Map

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Those are some cool builds... I like them both...
That was some good thinking to make the front drive with the pedlas up front on the 110cc pit bike engined one... I bet that recumbant was awesome when it was running too...

empire steve

Nov 29, 2013
las vegas
Did you know if you make a 99cc predator motor friction drive and use the clutch as the drive wheel you can do 50 to 60mph easily? It works but its **** on the bell housing. Lol

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
I would imagine it would be very tough on the drum, and you would get horrendous chatter every time taking off, because due to the necessary tension on the tire, the drum could never be evenly balanced, and the shoes would only make full contact on the side of the drum that's against the tire. Not something I would recommend to anyone who doesn't feel like replacing their clutch a couple times a year.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
If you modified the drum to lock to the crankshaft and removed the shoes, that would work much better. Drill a hole through the drum and the bushing and tap it for a set screw, then make sure the hole for the set screw is positioned over the key slot on the crankshaft, tighten down the set screw and the drum is locked to the shaft. I've considered doing this to convert to secondary belt drive and using a slip clutch. But it would also work for a friction drive roller if you're nuts enough to do those speeds, lol.

empire steve

Nov 29, 2013
las vegas
Yep as you stated it only worked for a short time before it destroyed the clutch. Not recommended just an experiment but damn what a rush! I kept thinking about a suicidal rabbit or a blowout or chain lockup, at that speed all kinds of things run through your brain!! lol