Joining the madness..

GoldenMotor.com

akumabito

Sep 20, 2008
Heerlen, the Netherlands
Hi everyone!

I just ran across this site when searching for info on my soon-to-start DIY moped project. It won't be a powered bicycle as it won't have any pedals, but it's close enough as I'll be using a lot of bicycle parts anyway.. Besides, there aren't any communities for DIY mopeds that I know of.

Surprisingly, many moped forums aren't really all that helpful at all. They all seem to be overrun by 16 year-olds questioning my sanity to build a slow and 'ugly' bike when apparently I could have one made of recycled tupperware that will go twice as fast and make 10x the noise for half the money. :crash:

Some people really just don't get it, no? I spent some time reading various topics on this forum and I'm sure there are more kindred spirits to be found here.

So here's what I intend to build; I love the simple, minimalist look of early motorcycles from the 1910s and 1920s. I also like the elegance of some of the post-war European mopeds. My plan is to combine various design elements from these periods and mix in some contemporary elements as well.

So far, the frame is the only component I am absolutely certain about. I'm afraid I lack the skills and equipment to fabricate my own from scratch, so I'll be using an off-the-shelf bicycle frame. (told ya there was a bike connection somewhere!) The frame I'll be using is a Basman 346, in my opinion the best looking cruiser on the market today;

The bike will be running on relatively fat tires. If I can legally get away with using bicycle tires they will be 20x4.25 front and back. If I have to use motorcycle tires they'll be of a similar width, set on 18 or 19 inch wheels. If I have to use motorcycle wheels/tires I'd probably run drum brakes front and back. If I can use bicycle parts I'd be runnign dual 160mm disks up front and a single 160mm disk in the back.

I'll be using a springer or girder front fork. I am hoping I can use a fork designed for bicycles - they are a lot cheaper than motorcycle forks, and motorcycle forks are also too long, too heavy and too stiff for a light moped. I might end up having to fabricate a front end from scratch, but I'm hoping I can utilize a modified Monark look-alike;

Once I have a rolling frame the fun can really start. Engine selection, fabricating mounts and trying to make it all work. I definitely think the looks of the engine itself play an important role in a project like this. I am very tempted to go with a 1960s vintage JLO 50cc engine. Though I would also like modern reliability..

Ideally I am looking for an air-cooled 50cc engine with three-speed transmission. JLO and Sachs are some of the vintage contenders. Among new engines I'm looking at Lifan - it doesn't look nearly as good, but those come with an auto-clutch making it somewhat easier (and marginally safer) to go for a 'suicide shifter' mounted next to the fuel tank.

So right now I'm focusing on engine options. I find it pretty difficult to reconcile vintage looks, modern reliability and a three or four speed transmission with automatic clutch.. I'm open to suggestions at this point! :D

akumabito

Sep 20, 2008
Heerlen, the Netherlands
Welcome akumabito

I know that you are looking for something with gears but a vintage Briggs and Stratton or other stationary engine would look good in a classic style frame and you definitely have the room for it . ................ D.J.

http://www.vintageprojects.com/mini-bike/Power-Bike.pdf
Thanks for the link! It sure looks the part, but unfortunately I am limited to a 50cc engine. Anything over 50cc and the bike will be classified as a motorcycle - I don't have a bike license and getting one is a costly affair over here.

Having it classified as a motorcycle will also make it a lot harder to get it on the road. It's a PITA enough as it is now.. I'll have to build and test the bike here in the Netherlands to British standards, ship the thing to the UK, have it tested and registered there and then 'export' it back home all to circumvent Dutch regulations that have made it pretty much impossible for home-built mopeds to get registered.. :(

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Greetings akumabito,

So glad to have you join us. I've always enjoyed looking at photos like those you posted. I simply never get to see this type of design in my part of the world and I'm sure the young men in my area would have their eyes open wide
if they saw the what you posted drive down the street. In time we're going to have to start making our own custom frames here and start by making replicas of old vintage bicycles.

I'm also an avid world band radio listener and must tell you Radio Netherlands is one of the best I'm able to tune into.

As you speak of making a bike without pedals and with a motor we have some
threads on the subject of the Cuban "Riquimbili". You may like to see what the Cubans have built. They too have an interesting sense of styling.

Some of us in the states are making replicas of 1900's motorcycles which
looked like motorized bicycles back then and had pedals. In my part of the wolrd there are lots of old small vintage Briggs Stratton motors laying about that were about 2 or 2 1/2 horse power. Most were made of cast iron.

I hope you post plenty of photos.

Attachments

LordMaximo

Aug 31, 2008
High Plains Desert, Roy UT
Parts for your build

Welcome to the forum from a fairly new member as well.
Here is a good place for you to start on your quest for parts.
You are not the only one who likes the old style track racer designs of early 2 wheeled rides. You will find there are a great deal, if not, most all of the participents on this forum are true belivers of the early stuff.:ride2:
Hope this small bit of information can help you on your build.
BMI Karts and Supplies - Home

Maximo

LordMaximo

Aug 31, 2008
High Plains Desert, Roy UT
Dutch and his creations

I have been intouch with him over the past few months and he is a real super person to be around. His work is out of this world too. I wish I had access to the funds he is asking to build his next few racers.
I just can't seem to be able to part with $150,000.00 for a new racer. My money tree only blooms a couple times per year and it is no where near that kind of capitol spenditure..bf.
Have a great holiday and do keep in touch.

Maximo
Roy, UT.

akumabito

Sep 20, 2008
Heerlen, the Netherlands
Hey.. I'm also a huge fan of the Dutch Basman. Have you had any more luck making this a reality?
Not yet, I'm afraid.. I've been hearing a lot of conflicting stories about getting the vehicle registered. I have sent a bunch of emails to the local equivalent of the DMV, and oddly enough, I received three different answers.. one definite "no", one "not worth the trouble" and one "very, very maybe".. Now that's not very encouraging at all!

Are there any UK members here who have successfully MSVA's and registered a cyclemotor as a moped in the UK? or maybe some German members who managed to get through TUV testing with their homebuilt vehicle? It's weird, but it actually seems easier to register it in another EU country first, then 'import' it back home.. What a pain!

In the meanwhile though, I've been keeping busy working on two 1960s vintage mopeds my younger brother owns.. :)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Try not to give up on it. I know how frustrating it can be attempting to get a simple answer. I spent 6 hrs one day at the DMV and still could not find the answer. Read threw a ton of "legalese" and turned out they are completely legal here.(CT)
Best of luck and please keep us posted

Hoeha

Jul 19, 2010
The Netherlands
Please let me know if you get it approved. I think i'm just going to start building and riding it... Just ride around with one hand on the killswitch and try not to crash :)