I need a ( That was Stupid ) button

GoldenMotor.com

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
I have this small folding bike which i was thinking of mounting a friction drive weed eater engine to .

The motor is from a weed eater i don,t need any more , so i strarted stripping it down .
after stripping off the unneccesary parts , i reinstalled the front cowl ( which houses the recoil start )

COOL ... LETS START ER UP . ( Why is it so hard to resist starting them up ? )

Poured a bit of gas in a soup can , dropped the hose and filter in , primed it till gas shot out the return hose , and fired er up .
Ran great for about 1 minute .

CLUNK ... Dead stop ... WTH .

I pulled the rip cord a few times ( man thats spinning kinda free )
then i noticed the actual crank wasn,t turning ... again ... WTH .
I tore it apart again and realized that :

IN MY HASTE , I HAD FORGOTTEN TO PUT THE SPACER BACK ON THE SHAFT .

What had happened was the flywheel had come loose and spun , resulting in a sheared off key ( cast into the flywheel ... not a seperate key )

Press ( THAT WAS STUPID ) button now .

Luckily the seat for the flywheel is tapered , so i was able to put it back together ( without a key ) and it works fine . ( but i should really repair the key )

SAFETY NOTE :

I was very lucky .
Very lucky the flywheel didn.t wobble into the pickup coil and explode the flywheel itself .

THAT ONE LITTLE SPACER , could have resulted in the flywheel exploding in my face .

So anyways , lets learn from this STUPID mistake .

Next time i will lay out all the parts on a nice "clean piece of cardboard"
and sort the parts accordingly .

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
??? I've never heard (in 50 years) of a key made into the flywheel itself. Are you sure it is? What brand and model is the weedeater?

I guess you found the extra part that you didn't know where it went, goes.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
well unless the used an aluminum key . There is no keyway cut into the flywheel itself .
no little waffer key

it is sheared off to clean aluminum . there was only an aluminum sliver left in the keyway on the crank . ( its a taper seat , the taper is " supposed " to do the holding .. not the key ) and fortunately the seat in the flywheel or the shaft didn,t get damaged or scored at all .

I personally don,t like that design after having to totally tear down my yamaha Roadstar , when the magneto flywheel spun loose from the shaft ( go figure , the magneto shaft only comes out from the inside of the engine ... and its the first part to go in , and the last part to come out ) . 5 years and "who knows how many" shafts later , Yamaha , just out of the blue decides to ad a key to the shaft .....HMMMM ...
I repaced the shaft and magneto with the newer updated version ( since the added key was the only difference ) .

My guess is that the flywheel key was formed on a forge .
They would do this for 2 reasons :
1- to create a harder seating surface
2- to cut the time and cost of putting in a key

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This warning probably should go in the 'Safety Section' but I'll start it here.

For those of you with a centrifugal clutch, never, never run up your engine with the outer clutch bell removed. The clutch pad return springs can and will fly off and become missiles that could seriously harm you. Even with safety glasses, if one of those springs hits you or anything else, it's gonna leave a mark, guaranteed.
Tom