Hello from Australia and question

GoldenMotor.com

Justenzy

Jul 21, 2011
Australia
HEy guys, I live in Sydney, Australia and been looking at this forum a while now snd soon getting a motor bicycle, quick question for you guys in Australia do you ride on roads or paths or side of the road, I've looked at the laws but still confused about where we can ride...thanksauflg

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Welcome to the forum Justenzy (^) Although I don't live in Oz now, once upon a time I did in Newport, NSW (Sydney) and rode pushbikes and motorcycles on the streets. Be nice cruisin up Pittwater Rd. to the lighthouse in Palm Beach!

dnut

Justenzy

Jul 21, 2011
Australia
Thanks for the answer..but question the bikes must in some cases go slower than the cars what do you do then? Sorry for the noob question lol but want to be sure before I buy one

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
These may help.....check them out: http://motorbicycling.com/f17/case-law-australia-31443.html

and: http://motorbicycling.com/f17/motorized-bike-laws-south-australia-26842.html

I would imagine you would ride as close to the left hand side of the road as possible.......you just ride in the slow lane as with any bicycle on the road and obey traffic laws (rules).

Thanks for the answer..but question the bikes must in some cases go slower than the cars what do you do then? Sorry for the noob question lol but want to be sure before I buy one

ratrod

Feb 7, 2011
Australia
G'day how are ya and welcome to the adiction in Australia th law is that a motor cannot exceed 200w in power so to put this into context a grubbee 66cc has 3200w and to detune it would be impossible . You need to be aware of your liability in oz .......now the police are another story some don't mind some do depends if you pass them doing 60kpm or 30......I ride on the side of the road and signal as you would on a bike and try to resist gassing it up to overtaking traffic that attracts attention . I also use bike paths but my bike is worked and is loud so nature lovers will give you greef but best of all back streets cruise no hurry lots of thumbs up.....good luck bud

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Justen, welcome to THE Forum :) I live in Houston, Texas. I have been riding 45 years. I have learned this. Any Cop has better things to do than stop us. Almost any traffic court judge will look at a traffic ticket for a bicycle as an insult by the cop. They say their over worked already. If you ride safely, obey traffic laws, and use common sense, you are very un likely to be stopped. Unless your bike is way too loud. If it is, you will get stopped anywhere. (c)

BrattRod

Jul 26, 2011
Australia
G'day Justenzy I too a newby here and to motorised/ized bicycles. We also live in NSW AUST and agree with ratrod.

However some of the ideas my friend and I have border on the realm of motorcycle/bicycle with safety being for front in both our minds (yeah right) seriously though we do have some great ideas we hope to share with you all soon.
auflg

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Welcome to the forum. Im in Queensland and have so far (knock on wood) avoided attention from the police.

Dont drill out your exhaust, always wear a helmet, obey the road rules and you MAY be ok. Thats the unfortunate truth. Good luck!!!!!

And i hear what you are saying Brattrod, ive built/am building bikes i worry are pushing the policemans patience maybe a little too far.... I just hope the judge will have the same outlook as Saddletramp1200. lol

BrattRod

Jul 26, 2011
Australia
harry76 we hear you, we are hoping NSW fuzzies are more tolerant how ever we do agree that it probably wont be long before the bureaucrats take our fun away yet again.