one week old motor wont start

GoldenMotor.com

yummymushrooms

Jan 30, 2009
california
hey everybody, this is my first post here but i've been lurking for a bit. i just got a china motor all set up on my old cruiser last weekend and its been doin good until it died out on me yesterday. its been running great and has been tons of fun so far. it drove fine when i took it to the gas station yesterday morning and it was still good when my uncle took it for a spin later that morning, but when i went to finally leave the house it died out on me about a mile and a half from home. no noises or anything.

my directions recommend using 91 octane gas with a 16:1 mixture for the break in period followed by a 20:1 mixture afterward. i ran the first gallon of gas through it at 16:1 (8oz oil/gallon) with 87 octane. when i topped it off yesterday i used 89 octane instead and just a tad less than 8oz of oil. i doubt the problem is the fuel but the coincidence in timing is odd.
i've checked the spark plug and it sparks. i've checked that all the bolts are tight, there are no air or fuel leaks except for slow oil drip from the exhaust (which i understand is normal when using mixed fuel). i also read that the clutch cable can get too tight and prevent it from engaging, and i checked that. i checked the air filter and its fine. i tried draining the fuel reservoir on the carb. i've checked just about everything that i can think of. the engine still turns over when i pedal and release the clutch but it doesn't fire up. i was able to coax it into starting for a brief moment yesterday while i was tinkering with everything. it got me down the block and the just stopped again without sputtering as it died or anything. i dont think its flooded because i let it sit over night and it was still acting the same this morning. any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

ratrod

Feb 7, 2011
Australia
hi there....
i thought the same with my motor, exhaust and oil but it was infact the cranckcase seal on the magneto side that was leaking onto the exhaust....just take off the magneto cover and if there is oil in the case then you need to replace the shaft seal - a common problem
the motor looses pressure in the crankcase when this happens and could be giving you greef? good luck with that.

yummymushrooms

Jan 30, 2009
california
sorry al, next time i'll take my questions to the mb troubleshooting forum. and thanks again for the tip ratrod. i checked it out and it looks like thats the problem. there is definitely fuel in there.

ratrod

Feb 7, 2011
Australia
hey Yep Wrong thead Fred.........

anyway send us some pics of your bike and get this introduction on the way of righteousness :)

just type in the search engine on this site Crancase seal the guys here really know there stuff youll find lots of info you can pick out to get the job done.

good luck brother.....