RC airplane muffler

GoldenMotor.com

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
I've read that a few of you are into model airplanes, as I once was for a decade a decade ago. I still have my Airtronics Module 7SP that was 10 years old before the whole 1991 sunspot new regulations came out!

Anyhoo, back in those days, there was all this hype about adding a muffler made from a hair mousse can (attached with silicone hose to existing muffler outlet I believe) that made for a remarkably quiet engine as well as a mild power gain. I never tried it back then, but am curious about it now I've gotten a 80/70/65/67.5 cc (whichever) motorbike.

Anybody a long-time RC-er that remembers this?

I also miss the needle valve adjustment. I'm on my third or fourth ride on new motorbike, and was on-the-fly tweaking the side screw on the carb thinking it was a mixture adjustment, as the terribly-translated instruction didn't have any info whatsoever...turns out it's an idle screw? which doesn't even have any affect on idle?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I was considering the "mousse can muffler" but I cvan't find a can of mousse that big! Maybe a similar can from another product that will meet the volume needed?

As for the carbs....I could probably make a better one if I carved it outta stone.....some do convert to a Walbro or Mikuni.

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
I was considering the "mousse can muffler" but I cvan't find a can of mousse that big! Maybe a similar can from another product that will meet the volume needed?
QUOTE]

Hmmm, I wonder....can multiple ones be daisy-chained? That way it could more easily follow curves to the rear. I'm guessing not, because the point is to expel the gas at a lower velocity from the expansion of same quantity of gas, right? But then again, I remember the mousse can one attached to stock muffler's output; in effect, daisy-chained.

I think I may have seen either a sports drink or alcoholic beverage in a large volume aluminum can shaped like a bottle. Will have to research.

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
THe mousecan mufflers were for much smaller glow engines. I suspect you'd need a 20 gallon garbage can muffler :)

just kidding.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I don't think daisy chaining will work, but how about making a simple muffler from some aluminum flashing (roofing material) and pop rivets? Seal it with some high temp JB Weld and attatch it to your current bicycle motor "header" pipe.

Last edited:

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
The following errors occurred when this message was submitted

1. You do not have permission to perform this action. Please refresh the page and login before trying again.

I turned on cookies LOL.

Fasst 2.4 Ghz 6 channel on 5 servo .50 Coroplast high wing plane.
A plane called a Coro wot is my current favorite RC Airplane, a SPAD.

I cut my stock Kingsmotorbile baffle too short.
First the break in.
Then all of the mods for reliability, also speed.
Finally the muffler.
POP POP POP Too LOUD.
I used an old scrap 1.5 inch 90 degree bend from an automobile exhaust repair.
Spad to the bone Musse can muffler was my starting point.
Jam on the 90 mark where to drill for a mounting screw.
Wad some aluminum screen material into the end of the pipe.
Drill for a 2.5 inch 14-20 mounting and screen retaining bolt.
Add some plumbers tape for a mounting strap.
No more POP .
Way too much speed. for me.
Bent rims, dented tank, broken headlight.
No more pedaling up some hills now.
I use partial throttle only now.
A mousse can muffller spreads out the powerband.

I really miss the mixture screws.
Kinda hard to do a pinch test when riding a spad type bike.
Bog! Bog! OMG!!! when the mix gets right.
Then taper the needle some more.
Too rich now !
Solder and redrill the jet.
Lather, Rinse , and Repeat.
I finally got it right.
Way too much work.

Last edited: