Pros and cons of dynamo hubs & lights?

GoldenMotor.com

arty dave

Nov 16, 2009
canberra, ACT (australia)
Hi,
I want to put a drum brake hub into my front wheel and was contemplating building it with a sturmey-archer drum brake + dynamo hub. I've done some reading but am still undecided about the dynamo. What experiences do people have running lights from dynamo hubs?

I've had a look around at various dynamo lights and my concerns are mainly the cost of the lights themselves. It seems the cheaper units don't put out much light and then there is a sudden jump to pricey units that do put out a decent light. Tricked out lights with leds and storage for when you're waiting at the lights. I'm talking $150 australian PLUS for something that cranks out enough light to ride safely along an unlit path.

But then I think well if I use it a lot maybe it IS worth it compared to the price some of the battery driven lights which can be very expensive themselves.

Thoughts/comments/observations?

Cheers,
Dave.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I went with the Sturmey Archer drum brake & dynamo hub but as I've not completed the Rollfast build yet I can't give ya a review lol

I do have my concerns about possibly burnin' out the gen with the constant "high speed" usage on an MB... but TBH the cost I shrugged off as I figured it's my brakes too and it's just too tempting to have a nice, steady source of power for lights & small batt charging to not give it a shot ;)

scooter09

Feb 19, 2010
Minnesota
Has anyone used wonderful creations lighting system?Will it burn out C.D.I.or Stator faster? In Minnesota we have to have a D.O.T. legal lighting system to get it registered.Is this what I am looking for?

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
I was wondering if that extra magneto(from Wonderful Creations) would draw too much from the magnet and then it would eventually die out or steal from the CDI current. I know that some of these magnetos/magnets aren't fully charged or lose their charge on their way across the pond. Anyone had those type experiences???

scooter09

Feb 19, 2010
Minnesota
If you look at that Wonderful Creations system, it uses an additional magneto for the lights. So you're running the ignition off the stock mag, and the lights off the aftermarket mag. It's a neat looking setup, but seems pretty pricey to me. (Note that I do not own one of these.)
Thanks for the help...I might go with it.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
there is the another way if you take a look at the thread I started yesterday
called >>>>possible solution to the light problems Its an idea.
as stated in the post I'm out with a broke leg until Nov. but it seems possible for this to work.

GeneFiorot

Feb 12, 2009
Punta Gorda Florida
If you look at that Wonderful Creations system, it uses an additional magneto for the lights. So you're running the ignition off the stock mag, and the lights off the aftermarket mag. It's a neat looking setup, but seems pretty pricey to me. (Note that I do not own one of these.)

You think 29 bucks is pretty pricey?