Utah Confusion

GoldenMotor.com

mtnman

Dec 21, 2012
Utah
I have been researching this past week on what is legal for me to ride in Utah. Today I decided to write the DMV and make sure I can ride a "moped" as is defined here

In response I got the following:

1. The definitions for registration are below. Keep in mind that local law enforcement can have their own rules and guidelines as to where you can ride these whether they are registered or not.

MMopeds over 2 brake hp and capable of propelling the cycle in excess of 30mph on level ground or have an internal combustion engine of over 50cc would need to pass the state safety inspection and be registered as Small Motor Vehicle. If the moped exceeds the above limitations it would no longer be able to be defined, according to code, as a moped and would therefore require registration.

2. Electric Assisted Bicycles that have an electric motor with an output of more than 1,000 watts and capable of propelling the device at speeds of over 20mph on level ground would need to pass the state safety inspection and be registered as Small Motor Vehicle. If the electric assisted bicycle exceeds the above limitations it would no longer be able to be defined, according to code, as an electric assisted bicycle and would therefore require registration.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact our Customer Service Department for further assistance from any of our phone representatives Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. at 801-297-7780 or 1-800-368-8824.
Thank you,

Division of Motor Vehicles
Utah State Tax Commission

This negates most everything I have read and I am hoping some other Utah peeps can give me a hand here. I have read through and found as many forums posted for Utah already and I thought I was in the clear to go ahead and buy a kit. Am I? I do not want to pay for inspection/registration/insurance for a bicycle with a motor. I am trying to find a cheap way to get around without getting TAXED more than I already do. I have a motorcycle!!

Here is some additional info to the legislation pages concerning "mopeds" and registration.

Moped definition:

http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE41/htm/41_06a010200.htm

Vehicles exempt from registration:

http://le.utah.gov/code/TITLE41/htm/41_01a020200.htm

This is a writeup from the Spanish Fork Police Department I found on another page:

http://www.spanishfork.org/dept/pubsafety/police/pdf/scooters.pdf

Can anybody help?

Last edited:

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Why the confusion, the reply you got from the DMV backs up the definition in your first link, which even shows a photo of a bicycle with an engine kit. Buy your kit bolt it on and go ride! I'd put a 50cc sticker on just for good measure and try to keep the top speed down to 30 MPH.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I think it sounds like you're good to go with a china girl.

"Officer it's only 48cc, and is supposed to have 1.5 hp, but I don't think it really has that much."

"OK then, beat it out of here, and don't let me catch you smoking smoking pot."

mtnman

Dec 21, 2012
Utah
Wow, I guess I am having a major case of lysdexia. You are all correct and I read this completely wrong. My bad and thank you for pointing this out to me. :) I'll be ordering this week!!