what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Yep, but personallyId mu h rather have and old Maveric Grabber with a 429 CJ shoe horned off in it than a new Camaro with a 4 or 6 banger in it...

Speed is what I need... all the Bling dont make me sing....!!!

All this said I honestly want to have a couple of really nice looking bikes tha5 run as good as they look, and I will eventually just a matter of time when I can find it and Ill have Taffy going and she'll look fairly good I think.
Then ya ride it for a year and its just another scuffed, scratched oily bike. Thank God ya cant scuff the FUN out of em.
fatdaddy.usflg

WECSOG

Nov 10, 2014
North Alabama, USA
Yep, but personallyId mu h rather have and old Maveric Grabber with a 429 CJ shoe horned off in it than a new Camaro with a 4 or 6 banger in it...

Same here. Or better yet, a Chevy 572 crate engine in one of my Willys jeeps!
But did you know that the base engine in the new Camaro is a 323 hp V6? Not too shabby for a commuter, and they're not terribly expensive either. And if you have the money to spend you can get up to 580 hp, right off the showroom floor!

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
I decided to go off-roading on my motorized cross bike (which is built up to be more like a road bike. Found a dirt fire road in a state of extreme disrepair in a park and rode down it at about 30mph just for the **** of it, and somehow the chainring bolts on my rear sprocket managed to unscrew themselves (again) even though I used threadlocker on them. Managed to limp home at about 10mph, using mostly pedal power. Tomorrow I am going to weld the bolts so that they can never unscrew again.:-||

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas

All this said I honestly want to have a couple of really nice looking bikes tha5 run as good as they look, and I will eventually just a matter of time when I can find it and Ill have Taffy going and she'll look fairly good I think.
Same here... One of my favorite rides was my old '67 Ford pickup I lowered and shoehorned a 460 and a C6 in it... It was just painted with that rust red primer and I used to love going out Mustang hunting on friday and saturday nights in that thing... People would never give it a second look most the time but it took a Lot of mustangs and camaros by surprise... I remember I smoked this other guy who had an older souped up Ford truck and he followed me all the way to my work to see what I had under the hood... lol
I really miss that one... it was the most fun I could have with my pants on at the time and I'd prefer to take that one out every time over our newer nicer cars.

WECSOG

Nov 10, 2014
North Alabama, USA
Same here... One of my favorite rides was my old '67 Ford pickup I lowered and shoehorned a 460 and a C6 in it... It was just painted with that rust red primer and I used to love going out Mustang hunting on friday and saturday nights in that thing... People would never give it a second look most the time but it took a Lot of mustangs and camaros by surprise... I remember I smoked this other guy who had an older souped up Ford truck and he followed me all the way to my work to see what I had under the hood... lol
I really miss that one... it was the most fun I could have with my pants on at the time and I'd prefer to take that one out every time over our newer nicer cars.
I had a '68 shortbed Ford with a cammed and Holley carbed 390 and 3 on the tree. It was pretty quick. Now I have a '77 shortbed 4x4 Ford with cammed and Holley carbed 460, granny low 4 speed and NP205.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I put the sprocket bolts on pretty much dead tight - recheck at 80 to 100 miles when I do other final adjustments and have not seen them loosen ever.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I had a '68 shortbed Ford with a cammed and Holley carbed 390 and 3 on the tree. It was pretty quick. Now I have a '77 shortbed 4x4 Ford with cammed and Holley carbed 460, granny low 4 speed and NP205.
Nice... also had a 4x4 75 blazer with a cammed 350 with a performer rpm intake, Holley 750 vacuum secondary with the trick kit, headers, and dynomaxes with a turbo 350 automatic and np203 full time 4 wheel drive, even tho this one weighed about 5500lb and it was a small block it could still pull a low 15 second quarter mile and it could usually beat most 5.0 mustangs from stop light to stop light... that thing would also top out around 120 or so... it was pretty nerve racking when it buried the speedometer and was still accelerating really good when it had a 4" lift kit and 33" tires... I never fully topped it out because I would always back off once it buried the speedo...
I was looking for a np205 transfer case for it since those cases were bullet proof and you could take it out of 4wd when not needed.

Now I have an 86 nissan 720 4x4 that I'm getting ready to put a real engine in to replace the wimpy little 2.4 4 banger.... I was going to put a turbo on that engine but that would only bring it to around 200 or so Hp unless I totally rebuilt it with lower compression and forged pistons... basically to get it passed the 300 Hp mark it would cost a lot less to just drop a small block in it and it would be a lot stronger so I'm looking for either a 5.0 ford or an older Chevy 350 for it.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
So today's progress was mostly on the stingray frame... finally got it stripped all the way to bare metal... now its time to start making the gussets and doublers for the lower frame and seat post tubing. I'm also thinking about somehow making an in frame fuel tank or at least making a custom tank that'll look a lot better than a Chinese peanut tank on that frame...
I also ordered the powder coat colors I will be using so I'll have it when I'm ready and I got most the chrome blasted off the parts that will get powder coated. Now I definitely need to get my argon bottle filled because I'm ready to start welding.

After I closed up shop I took out the customer's bike and worked on breaking in the engine by taking off hard and slowing down over and over in my parking lot...this one has a LOT of torque and feels like it'll reach at least 30mph or more once the engine loosens up some more. The engine is already becoming easy to start and its also starting to run a lot smoother so this one will be nice for whoever ends up with it... the owner has decided he's going to raffle it for some type of benefit so I am thinking about donating a Fred head and a decent pipe before giving it back if I can get the parts before he picks it up. Pretty much all I've done to this engine was widen the intake and exhaust ports, clean up the transfers and open up the transfer tunnels, then I ramped the piston down 1mm at the exhaust and the same at the transfers but aimed the transfer ramps more toward the intake side, and I also cut 5mm off the intake side of the piston skirt. I used a stock pipe but drilled 4 more 5/16" holes thru the end cap and a few extra holes in the pipe inside the muffler. The bike is still nice and quiet but the exhaust flows really nice. The carb is a stock nt with the stock air filter and stock steel intake manifold that had some dremel work to match up to the intake port so this engine does have some potential to make a lot more power with a real pipe and a better intake if the final owner so desires... I set this engine up to make good torque but it should be capable of 35 to 40 mph with the right pipe and a straight intake along with a 40 tooth sprocket...

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Same here. Or better yet, a Chevy 572 crate engine in one of my Willys jeeps!
But did you know that the base engine in the new Camaro is a 323 hp V6? Not too shabby for a commuter, and they're not terribly expensive either. And if you have the money to spend you can get up to 580 hp, right off the showroom floor!
Oh yeah we're seeing all kinds of power being squeezed out of the tin6 power plants nowadays, Ive dr8ven some of the Ford vehicles with the Eco Boost engines and its crazy how much power those 4s and 6s are putting out and then still getting 20+ to 30mpg

Modern tech is really making these little engine strong and yet still reliable.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I know where there is a '72 Ford Ranchero in a barn. It's got a 428 Super Cobra Jet with 12.5:1 pistons, Ram Air Hood, & a hood tach. Was supposedly built on the line for some Ford executive. Last ran in 1992 when I helped put it in the barn.

The ex-mom-in-law won't sell it to me............yet.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I know where there is a '72 Ford Ranchero in a barn. It's got a 428 Super Cobra Jet with 12.5:1 pistons, Ram Air Hood, & a hood tach. Was supposedly built on the line for some Ford executive. Last ran in 1992 when I helped put it in the barn.

The ex-mom-in-law won't sell it to me............yet.
Wow.... that would be a nice ride t9 have all slicked up.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yes... that one would really be a good one to have... I remember those days running to the airport to get avgas because something couldn't run on pump gas and the avgas costed a lot less than the race fuel.... and the airport was closer to go to... they wouldn't pump it into the gas tank but we could go get our 5 gallon cans filled.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Slow progress on the stingray today, just took some measurements and brazed the chain stay on a lot better than it was originally welded. I'm going to weld everything else tho.

I also installed the hub adapter and 39 tooth sprocket I got from pedalchopper and it was a LOT easier to install than a rag joint... and the alignment is perfect... gonna use these on all my builds from now on... these also look way better...

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
got a builder in the area that welds those - many of his customers are very disappointed at having to swap in a 1/2 link now & then since the tensioner won't adjust top/bottom to move a full link & can't be slid forward/back to accomplish it once welded

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
Looks like you are all having fun.
I haven't had the chance to do anything bicycle related for a few weeks.
Just to damn busy.
Yesterday I managed the time to have a bit of fun with my kid and her boyfriend.
Took his new quad out for a test run on the beach.
Only had an hour or so before I had to be back in the shop.
Big fun though...

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Didn't work the bikes at all today since I had to go and help the bird club at their bird mart so I got to walk around all day with our blue and gold macaw on my shoulder.. she behaved perfectly for me but her claws are a little on the sharp side and my shoulders are all scratched up now.... now I got the scrapes and scratches to match the road rash ingot on my stomach and chest from taking a spill on my customer's bike Friday while I was riding it in my parking lot breaking in the engine... it didn't hurt the bike at all but it body slammed me into the gravel at about 25 mph. I got it going too fast for the gravel, grabbed a handful of front brake and hit a loose spot, locked the front wheel and before I could let go of the brakes it had me flying like superman for about 10 feet and I landed belly first on the parking lot.
this bike has a LOT of torque so it hits 25 to 30 very quickly and I'm guessing it's gonna be able to hit 35 or so pretty easily after it breaks in.