GoldenMotor.com

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Last edited:

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
I'm sure it would work but not sure if it would give you sufficient gearing for hill climbing with extra weight.

I personally prefer the simplicity of a derailleur. Yes, if you hit something (a rock on a trail, a tree limb, or a fallen branch, your derailleur can be destroyed. This is why I carry a spare chain and derailleur and it seems like since I've started doing that, I haven't had any problems with any of the aforementioned. With derailleur option, you fairly easily try different sprockets in back to best suit your driving style without spending a small fortune on a 8 speed internal hub to find out it isn't geared right for you.

Good luck.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
There's several members here with 3-speed IGH (myself included) and one member I know of with a 5-speed. The 8-speed has wonky gearing (2-8 are internally overdriven). Most of us use Sturmey Archers and the 3-speed has proven to be up to the task, with the 5-speed so far on it's way to proven reliability. Are you intending on using the hub as part of the jackshaft or on the rear wheel?

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
I'm exploring the concepts mostly. Think twice buy once logic going on here.

If you don't mind.. Can a hub be a part of the jack-shaft? See I don't know what is valid for this kind of construction.

What I know from experience is do it right the first time is the right idea and I started with an ebay kit whuich I have the clutch handle and gas tank left from that purchase. The rest was a learning experience.

My goal is to have a dependable "travel" bike.
I depend on my 2-stroke but not enough to ride 300 miles with it without AAA. We can get AAA I trust :)

I agree simpler is better.. 3-speed or 5-speed then. I favor something that can be purchased on low budgets!

Thanks for the derailer advice Drewd but I prefer the hub direction.

So, asking yall what you do is the first step.

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
This one rules my world

http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=5522

It is already set up with dual sprockets.Awesome performance and killer value. Jack-shafts rule! The equation is simple. A 21-tooth IGH jackshaft will handle twice the torque over the same IGH installed in the rear rim.

Couple that unit with KMC 510 BMX chain , with extra tall anti-drop inner plates and extra thick outer plates, and you have reliability for hundreds of miles without needing any adjustments.

Attachments

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Any updates? I have been everywhere trying to get a good recom. I was thinking of using a trike 3- or 5-speed hub for a jackshaft. That would be good as I have a beach cruiser with a single speed freewheel on the rear.

BarnstormCyclewerks

Sep 19, 2012
Maryland
This one rules my world

http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=5522

It is already set up with dual sprockets.Awesome performance and killer value. Jack-shafts rule! The equation is simple. A 21-tooth IGH jackshaft will handle twice the torque over the same IGH installed in the rear rim.

Couple that unit with KMC 510 BMX chain , with extra tall anti-drop inner plates and extra thick outer plates, and you have reliability for hundreds of miles without needing any adjustments.
you wouldn't be able to update that link by any chance?

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
I have not inquired to them yet if the product will be re-stocked, HOWEVER, I am working with mcguire bearing to produce a spoke hub sprocket that bolts on 36H hubs with 9 bolts. The sprocket is designed around the SRAM iMotion 3-speed that has a 70mm spoke hole diameter and of course, 18 holes per side.

So the goal will be a cheaper priced jack-shaft hub that is a newer design and is able to shift under load. I think it also has a 186% spread.

More news as I get it together.....

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
any one tried combing a 3 speed hub with a rear 8 speed freewheel with a derailleur? saw a set up like that on a recumbent bike at a race track and seemed like and interesting way to give your self more options for gears.

you'd still keep your 21 gears if you have a 3 speed hub and a 7 speed freewheel or you could go something crazy like a 5 speed hub and a 9 speed free wheel and give your self a ridiculous amount of gears. but the main problem would be can it hold up to the beating the motor would put on it.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
any one tried combing a 3 speed hub with a rear 8 speed freewheel with a derailleur? saw a set up like that on a recumbent bike at a race track and seemed like and interesting way to give your self more options for gears.

you'd still keep your 21 gears if you have a 3 speed hub and a 7 speed freewheel or you could go something crazy like a 5 speed hub and a 9 speed free wheel and give your self a ridiculous amount of gears. but the main problem would be can it hold up to the beating the motor would put on it.
Sturmey Archer sells 2 hubs like that: the CS-RF3 (no brake) and the CS-RK3 (disc brake). Being that it's based on the same 3-speed internals as their other 3-speed hubs, I'd expect it to hold up to the small engines, as long as they aren't Morini/KTM or the >99CC 4-strokes.