Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
I found this really solid wal-mart bike called a Genesis

It has 29 inch wheels and a front disc brake

The frame tubes seem to be standard shaped
nothing fancy just regular round

Will a kit work on this frame / bike?

Well i finished this bike
The engine worked good and it gets me around town.
You can read about the story of the bike here in this thread.

Here is the finished product

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.

Looks like it fits a 4-stroke just fine....a 2-stroke would fit even easier.

Newbikers, it looks like a 2-stroke will fit the Genesis just fine as well....I'd give it a shot. I'm sure you could always return it if not:D

EDIT: I'm guessing the Genesis is the new replacement of the Ridgedale line-up.

Somebody on here tried to motorize one and said the motor wouldn't fit. Here is a link to the thread.

http://motorbicycling.com/f41/29-beach-cruiser-w-mart-28271.html

Last edited:

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
This bike has an aluminum frame .
Aluminum cracks under the stress of being motorized.
Better to find one made of steel.
I have even cracked the bicycle frame of the stuff called tensteel .

Newbikers

Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
This bike has an aluminum frame .
Aluminum cracks under the stress of being motorized.
Better to find one made of steel.
I have even cracked the bicycle frame of the stuff called tensteel .
I don't believe that for 1 minute.

I saw you post that anti-aluminum stuff in another thread

I might be new to motorizing bikes but I'm not new to bicycles and I can say for a fact that I've never had any aluminum frame crack or any frame at all

And I've done alot more then vibrate it.

think 5 foot jumps...........

Besides the frame is gusseted also and is heavy and solid as a rock.
I sat on it and picked it up

And besides
the tubing is not oversized so it wont be needing a drill or anything to affix the engine.

Last edited:

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
If you do build a mb based on this bike, be sure to post info on it here. I'm a big guy (6'4" 240lbs) and am also looking for a suitable Walmart bike for the project. I'm leaning towards one of the Schwinn cruisers, but a 29" wheel bike sounds pretty nice.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
I don't believe that for 1 minute.

I saw you post that anti-aluminum stuff in another thread

I might be new to motorizing bikes but I'm not new to bicycles and I can say for a fact that I've never had any aluminum frame crack or any frame at all

And I've done alot more then vibrate it.

think 5 foot jumps...........

Besides the frame is gusseted also and is heavy and solid as a rock.
I sat on it and picked it up

And besides
the tubing is not oversized so it wont be needing a drill or anything to affix the engine.
Actually when clamping an engine on aluminum frames it is a good practice to cut EMT conduit to go under the mounts on either side to prevent cutting and compression by the clamps. More than one member has suffered frame damage by not following this advice. Ask any of the older members here and they will tell you the same thing.

If you are making jumps like that on an aluminum frame you are taking your life in your hands literally especially on a cheapo frame. I have seen more than one aluminum frame break at the welds from simple riding on Wally world bikes.

I doubt that you will have too many problems mounting an engine on the specified bike though just use some common sense when riding it as usually it is not the frame that will initially fail it will usually be the hubs or spokes from being under power.

Just my 2 cents take it for what it is worth...

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
I dunno. Boeing aluminum airplanes seem to hold up to being motorized pretty good.
Yeah just like the recent grounding of the 737 Quantus fleet from stress fractures behind the cockpit causing explosive decompression. LOL....

http://www.ausbt.com.au/tags/explosive-decompression

And this happened not too far back from stress fractures:

AND THIS to Southwest Airlines 737:

Not to mention the DeHaviland Comet which was the first jet airliner to be in service and grounded because of stress fractures that cause 2 of them to crash. BTW these incidents taught us about stress fractures that occur more readily in pressurized fuselages at high altitude and rewrote the book on aluminum tensile strength and its inherent weaknesses.

The fact remains that aluminum is a good metal if used and maintained properly. But it also means that if you are going to use it in motorized bikes especially in a high stress area like a frame you darn well better understand its weakness and how to mount engines and other periphery in safe manners. Not listening to others with more experience is a recipe for failure and injury.

Last edited:

Newbikers

Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
I will not answer any more of your requests for information.
Period.
Add front and rear fenders too.
LOL.
Well you dont understand my situation

I'm a big guy and i need a big bike

But I'm also poor

So for me to find a 29'' bike for under 200$ . no chance

I checked craiglist for one and the cheapest i could find is 500$.

You gotta use what you can get and since i don't got many options there's not much i can get.

I didn't ask if the frame would break
I asked if the frame and rims would accept a engine kit.
Thanks anyways tho.

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
I'm also a big guy in NC looking for the cheapest / best fitting bike I can find (on a low budget). What other bikes have you looked at? I'm also interested in a 29" wheel bike, but my concern is that parts are going to be hard(er) to find and not cheap. Have you looked at any of the 26" cruisers? At least with a 26" wheel you can find parts almost anywhere. Be sure to post what you find and I'll do the same.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
I just got back from Wally World and looked at this bike.... Yes it will accept an engine fairly easily if you usr a SBP universal front mount...

You state you are a "Big Boy". Keep these things in mind:

First issue is the spokes. They are 14ga and carrying your weight and also the torque of the engine would make it prone to spoke failure.

Second. While it has Shimano derailers I could mot identify the rear hub manufacturer and type to ascertain if it might be impractical or near impossible to mount on a hub adapter to transfer the load from the spokes to the hub itself.

Third issue, Since it is an aluminum frame you will have to take special mounting precautions to insure the frame is no damaged by compression and vibration. Like I said before you will also have to contend with the quality of parts used and many of the parts used in these bikes are the cheapest possible.

Fourth issue is that you are of a larger variety and probably like to ride haphazardly by your previous statement that you have taken 5 foot jumps on an aluminum frame of this type. Although it feels "rock solid" sitting on it you could well be in for a world of hurt if you do not modify your thinking and listen to some simple advice from some of the others here.

Last edited:

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
I'm also a big guy in NC looking for the cheapest / best fitting bike I can find (on a low budget). What other bikes have you looked at? I'm also interested in a 29" wheel bike, but my concern is that parts are going to be hard(er) to find and not cheap. Have you looked at any of the 26" cruisers? At least with a 26" wheel you can find parts almost anywhere. Be sure to post what you find and I'll do the same.
My last build was a Huffy Cranbrook sold at Wally world. It has a steel frame and you cann get a CBE-110 hub and rim for 70 dollars or less with 11ga spokes that will accept either Sportscar Pats 3 piece hub adapter or the Manic Mechanic Sprocket adapter and eliminate the rag joint that wears on the rear hub and spokes. Last I saw the Crannie was $89.

here is mine with a few modifications:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
What metal do the supercross bike manufacturers make their perimeter frames out of? Any bike frames made from aluminum or titanium if welded properly will take the abuse that any mild steel (chromoly) can take.....engine or no engine....period!!!!

dnut

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I've broken 2 aluminum frames. One motorized and one not. I never jumped on either bike. While I'm not anti-aluminum like Spad up there, I'm not gong to trust an aluminum bike for my motorvated daily rider, either. Especially not a Wally World aluminum bike. Just my humble opinion and preference.

Last edited: