what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
The first thing I do with any new cable is drizzle light oil into the sheath opening as I work the cable up and down. I put in a good amount, do it for a minute or so. Then hang it vertical from the rafters overnight.

That one you won't have to worry about.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Something I used to do with motorcycle cables was use Plasticine to make a funnel on the end of the cable and then hang the cable up overnight with a good helping of 30 weight motor oil in the funnel. Despite living on a coastal island at the time with a lot of sea salt in the air I never had any problems with the cables on any of my bikes.

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I was wondering about the oil under the spark plug. I do have a hard time not cross threading it when I put it in. I guess the threads are damaged.

Good excuse to buy an upgrade... lol any suggestions?

Also could the leak at the plugs cause the 4 stroking?
The fuel is definitely coming from the carb. And I already check the float, it floats.
I had to put a repair insert in my 1956 Matchless G-80-S single 500 cc and was quite satisfied. I got it at Wholesale Tool. They are online too. It is a solid insert as opposed to a Helicoil. It come with a tap that screws into what is left of the original plug threads and digs the new thread behind the lead thread. The insert has a knurl at the top and a flaring tool to set it. The plug is used to insert the repair. It is pretty economical to buy.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I changed the oil and the oil breather on my Briggs 3 hp 4 stroke engine. I also change the pleated paper air filter as the breather was not functioning for a long time. The spring broken or stuck and the valve was more than normal opening and not moving closed at all.

The return tube to the air filter from the breather made a mess of the filter. I had no replacement pre-cleaner filter that is the foam thing in front of the paper filter, but washed it with dish wash soap and rinsed and dried it. I have another pre-cleaner and air filter on order along with some starter cord.

I also will change the recoil starter cord, but temporarily I just cut off the last foot that was frayed. It will not fray for the same reason it was. It was before that I had started the engine pulling the cord side ways to clear a cover I made to protect the carburetor and linkages. I drilled a hole and put a plastic electrical strain relief (with the clamp center removed) on the top of the cover for the cord to go though and it stops abrasion.

I only can pull the cord about 18 inches, but my engine is easy to start so it doesn't matter. I’m not sure I would want the cord to be able to extend much further from where it comes through the cover. That is since I can start the engine while sitting on the bike and my position to pull further would likely hurt my shoulder. Standing up and starting a lawn mower I can understand using a longer cord.

MT

PS, the engine ran fine with the oil breather not working, but it had a bit of smoke out the exhaust and now I expect when I get a chance to test it I know it has to be cleaner!

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
A really good pull starter cord, better than factory cord, is 550 Paracord. You can get it from any Military surplus store.
The Walmart variety is junk, don't get it from there.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I may have caused myself a headache, but what the heck --- I've got several months to sort it out if it's not right!

I've changed my exhaust, went to a lower number jet, changed to a "6" range NGK plug, and lowered the float level slightly. Will see what happens tomorrow afternoon. May be great. May not.

The workmanship on the inside of my CNSV3 carb seems to be really good.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I'm gonna consider my changes a success. Top speed is about the same, however, I've eliminated the 4 stroking. Idle is good, acceleration is good. Seems a little smoother/happier. I think I am at a 'stopping' point for any engine changes ---- for now. :D

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I'm gonna consider my changes a success. Top speed is about the same, however, I've eliminated the 4 stroking. Idle is good, acceleration is good. Seems a little smoother/happier. I think I am at a 'stopping' point for any engine changes ---- for now. :D
Now ride like the wind...... rubber side down wnd bugs in your teeth.......!

Map
.wee.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I could ride like the wind by just sitting still today!! The wind is howl'n!!
Man... I know what you mean about the howling wind.... its really get-in with it down here in central Texas also..... its actually my sleep and rest time since I work tonight from 6 - 6am so I wont be outside for much today but im sure hoping this wind will calm down by tomorrow and Tuesday, just glad it isn't cold along with the wind.

Map

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
Went to my parents to learn the art of arc welding from the master - my old man.
It's been a while since he's done it so in the process of getting reacquainted with his welder he totally welded up my new rear engine mount. It was funny listening to all the swearing and cussing, but a product popped out the other side.
Now to pretty it up and put it on my bike.