what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Yesterday, I made the 18 mile round trip commute to the parknride. I catch the bus to work from there. I have the only motorized bike at the parknride. There are a few bicycles, 50cc scooters and motorcycles parked there daily, but I am the only motorized bike.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio

Rode about 25 miles to the bicycle show here today at Daddy Katz. It was perfect Ohio weather at almost 70 degrees and much fun was had by all at the show. There was a great turn out with over a hundred entries in the show and I won $65 on the first 50/50 raffle of the day. I picked up 2 brand new Shimano CB-E110 hubs with 26 in. rims and 12 ga spokes and all of the hardware still in the package and 18 tooth sprockets for $15 each and bought a cool Daddy Katz shirt. Here are a few pics of local bikes that were there. I got to meet many of the local enthusiasts and had a total blast... I will be posting all of my pics later on My website listed in my sig below. I think my favorite was the 1947 Serve Cycle pictured next to last...

Attachments

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

Began fabricating the "oil tank" for my Higgins. Would you believe that, in with all the seasonal kitch they had at Goodwill, there was a little stamped-steel mailbox? Looks like it might have been a suggestion box at one time.

I marked a curve along the bottom which followed the curve of the fender, when the top of the mailbox rested against the seatpost. Then, out came the dremel. I curved the flat bottom to match the new overall curve. Later I will sand it, and prime and paint. It'll be holding the batteries to the tail lights.

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

I will have to get a dremel before my next build.

Today I took a ride down the canal and stopped over to see KC in Sunnyslope. We test drove each others bikes & hung out for a minute. KC's a cool guy.

I have the tension issue solved and am no longer using the tensioner. I may use it for the pedal crank side though as there is a slight amount of slack in that chain.

This bike rides really well and the engine feels very powerful. It goes into a "sweet spot" up hill. It takes off from a standstill and I have a feeling that its going to go really fast when I finally open her all the way up. I'm not even at half throttle and going 25-30.

I stopped at the gas station, swiped my card, and spent about $4.00. Started right back up & I was gone before the cars that were already there filling up. It was so cool.

I really don't like the mirror and will try to get over to cycle gear to see if they have something that goes with this bike.

Dig the cool bike lock that came Friday: $37 free shipping on amazon.

Attachments

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

I like the looks of that bike Smoothe. That motor made for a very good looking clean install.

RebelHellbilly

Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury,North Carolina

good looking bike smoothe! a 4 stroke might be my next build. anyways about wut i got now lol..put a trek rear rack on off a wrecked roadmaster. replaced sum chain links after looking at it. prolly gonna order a new chain this week. just gotta decide from who lol

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan

I didn't do anything but ride in the rain, putting my rainsuit to the test. As I speak we have a thundering and lightening storm in Orange County. A few times out earlier I had random small bits of hail bounce off my glasses and helmet. Some puddles out here big enough to swerve 2 lanes out from! Hope it goes away soon lol

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

Wow Dan. That's a crying shame about those springers. Have you considered using suspension forks from a mountain bike? I'm really happy with mine.

RebelHell: The difference between a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke is night & day. I went over to KC's yesterday and rode his 2-smoke Trek, it felt like I was riding a toy compared to my bike. -No disrespect intended KC, it's a nice bike.

I rode to work this morning and did 8 miles in 20 minutes. I have my bike parked in front of my desk at the office so I can stare at it all day. I'm going on a "Putt" for lunch.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Ya know Smoothe, just as soon as I got done putting the solid forks on, I realized I had 2 MTB forks that would fit and blend in better. Even said that to Carol. Be worth it. With all the stuff I had on the bars, GPS, speedo and dash board took a while. All that is off now so gonna try it. I was in a rush so I could ride to work this morning. Trying to save every penny for the floating hot dog cart. then it snowed this morning! snork

They Might replace it with a HD one. The HD is actually welded.

LOL@ "Putt" for lunch"

noisydad

Jun 17, 2009
West Hartford, CT

I'm in Hartford and also opted not to ride in the snow flurries this morning!

This weekend I painted the engine cover of my GX35 Dark Hunter Green to match the frame of my old Humber 3-speed. I like the look. Filled up my gas can, too, so I'm ready for the next nice day...

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Cool Noisy. Don't forget the ride picnic thing in may. Gonna be in Hartford or again in Wethersfield this year. Will post when it gets closer.

Gonna go put MTB forks on my MB. Really can't look any worse, (famous last words) The deciding factor is keeping the fender. After a good ol' crash, I went a yr or so with out em. (fron't fender failing was the cause) Just not as much fun and any little bit of rain or slush.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA

Tested bike with the previously mentioned Mini-gen and though the light works fine as I'm trying to crank the engine, the engine won't crank. Ummm so it worked fine before the mini-gen. I checked all connections and have wiring blue to blue and black to black with kill switch going to ground and blue wire of CDI. I disconnected the wire from the mini-gen and tried again with no luck. I'm thinking it blew my CDI. Geez, ordered a new one from Piratecycles guess i'm back to riding once it arrives. The mini-gen shares ground with the motor internally so this is a bit of a concern, maybe the feedback or something fried the CDI.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

A common ground system is quite common, no pun intended.
The mini gen should not have affected the CDI unit in any fashion.
They are 2 completely separate entities simply bolted to the same engine.
One question though....What did you do with the white wire that is part of the original mag unit?

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

More paint, a bit of painting, and a coat or three of paint. Oh...and I've been sizing up the layout of the fuel line to leave room for the glass-bowl fuel filter I picked up at NAPA. Would you believe they had a couple right there in stock. I will always ask at the store level now, before ordering online. I didn't have to worry about shipping and I had it in my hands less than a minute later. It never hurts to ask. I had the same luck with the metal throttle mount I bought there - they had some in stock. Right there. I'm beginning to think my local NAPA stocks it all, everything NAPA carries. I haven't found anything yet that wasn't right there on the day I asked. The manager must be a real wiz, he knows if they have at least one of something when somebody comes in to ask for it - he makes money.

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR

I replaced the drive sprocket. The previous gear was set up for the smaller size chain which came with the kit. Since I had modified my motor a bit, it has a lot more horsepower than that little chain could handle. Within 40 miles the chain had stretched and weakened so much that it broke. When it broke the chain bunched up and stopped the motor, and bent a few teeth on the drive sprocket. I tried to bend a few of those teeth back, but they broke.

I called Gasbike and ordered another one. Unfortunately the one I got back was not the right size. The spindle on my engine was too small for the cog and the keyway was much wider. I thought about shimming the sprocket but before that I had one more option. I had a dead happy time sitting in a box. I got out my cog puller and it was the right size shaft but had a bigger keyway. I then got out my dremel tool and shaved half of the keyway so that it fit both my current shaft and new/old cog.

I have the new 415 chain on the bike now and I hope that it will work for tomorrow. I seem to be working on this bike as much as I ride it. In the Air Force they called those type of planes hangar queens. Since I started this hobby I have gone through about three engines and two kits, two rear hubs, two Mtn bike frames and two sets of rear dropouts (I changed my current bike from a vertical drop to a horizontal track type with a added derailleur hanger.)

I will see tomorrow if all of this will pay off.

mike

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR

Well,I put the new chain on today and the master link broke. It happened about 3 miles from home. First I had to walk back about a block or so to pick up my chain, sigh. Lucky for me I was still able to peddle my bike home. So I said the heck with it and got out my chain breaker.

I had an extra bit of 415 chain and a chunk of steel that was half an inch wide by 4 x 8 inches. I then attached the extra chain with my chain tool and then hammered on it with the chunk of steel behind it.I then took the bike, little two-mile ride,this time it seemed to hold.Slowly but surely I think I'm just about there.

Question: has anybody else blown a mater-link or was I just that lucky?

mike

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Mike, the only time I lost a master link, I had put the retaining clip on backwards. So the open end was to the forward side of the chain's travel. Not saying thats what happened to yours, just the only time it happened to me.

Smoothe! I owe ya a beer or a cup of coffee. Removed the solid fork and replaced with a MTB fork. Is off a wally world $85 bike. So it cost less (the whole bike) then the springer failure, POS... It not only blends in color wise, also lengthened the wheel base, allows for the side pull brake with the Worksmans's drum brake and it looks sharp! I was a bit disgusted with it and how really bad it looked. One of those days I shoulda just walked away from the bike for a day or 3. But back to loving my baby again. Instead of looking old world 1920s, she now sort of looks like a 1960s import. I really have to paint the left side cover. Gots me powder coat gun. Also have a cool air filter and she is gonna look sharp. Pics don't do it justice but a whole lot better then the red solid ones. The really important part is these are far less likely to cause facial road rash.

.flg.

Attachments