1/2 link chains?

GoldenMotor.com

Wags

Aug 4, 2016
Michigan
Quick question. Has anyone used the 1/2 link 1/8 inch chains yet? Are they stronger than the traditional 1/8 inch cain?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Quick question. Has anyone used the 1/2 link 1/8 inch chains yet? Are they stronger than the traditional 1/8 inch cain?
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Yes, I built a torque monster that needed a 1/2 link chain to hold up.
We snapped a couple HD 410 KMC Z chains so I upgraded the right side drive chains to KMC HL710 single speed 1/2 link BMX chain.
http://kmcchain.us/chain/hl710-silver/

I generally don't use the stuff because it's so expensive, hard to use, and just not needed for most uses, but these new ones have a cool little cotter pin as a removable master so it's easy to work with.

To answer your question, yes they are stronger so long as you orient the 'thin side' as the front of chain travel.

As a bonus no tensioner needed anywhere on this build.

[/FONT]

That was another specialty build to be a mountain mule.
It would only do ~20mph, but it would do it climbing out of the Grand Canyon ;-}

Last edited:

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
It's about time the secret of the 1/2 link chains was revealed. Great share guys! My son just installed one of those on his friends bike and commented to me about the perfect chain tension he achieved, to but it didn't sink in till this post. Thanks for getting my light bulb to go off Gentlemen. Should be a sticky on this tip.
Zip--

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Tyler, I don't know what a newton is, but 25,000 of them sounds pretty strong. So you use this for a direct drive chain? Or a Jack shaft?

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
I had heard rumors of BMX chain use, very cool. Yes, I bet it is smooth with this lighter weight but strong chain, makes sense! Dealing with heavy #41 or 415 or even worse a HD-415 chain isn't my favorite thing to do. I have only been doing quality 41 now but I need to try one of these new stronger BMX chains with half links or one half link on drive side soon.
Thanks for the info.
Zip--