Hello from Portland OR!

GoldenMotor.com

Pyrography

May 10, 2009
Oregon
Hey all, just thought I'd drop a hello on these crazy-informative forums. I'm looking to start my first build this summer on a beach cruiser MB. I'm trying to decide between a couple of different models and options (engine model, yea/nay springer fork, fenders, etc.) and I'll probably have lots of questions that will find answers here. Thanks for providing such an awesome resource. Cheers!

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
I bet the roses are in full bloom there!

You may want to check in to the regs in OR pertaining to engine size limit which is 35cc. This still leaves you with options but not the 2 stroke kits, only the Subaru Robin engine which is a very nice engine and will propel a bike plenty well enough if setup correctly.

Pyrography

May 10, 2009
Oregon
Ouch, just read up on the Oregon regulations (more worried about the potential fines, actually). Seems like I may have to postpone building a MB for another time, when I can afford $450 for an engine. =P Thanks for the heads up, Mabman.

mobboss

May 31, 2009
Salem, OR
Ouch, just read up on the Oregon regulations (more worried about the potential fines, actually). Seems like I may have to postpone building a MB for another time, when I can afford $450 for an engine. =P Thanks for the heads up, Mabman.
What did I miss I am in Salem and would like to build one as well but don't know about the legal stuff

Hiigel

Oct 23, 2010
Eastern Oregon
I retract the statement made here about riding a motorized bicycle on bike paths in Oregon. it was wrong; sorry for any confusion. Oregon law clearly states that any motorized vehicle for use on public roads shall meet federal safety standards, and this is imposible in my opinion.

The Oregon laws concerning 2 and three wheel power assisted vehicles, as well as others can be found here:

http://www.oregon.gov/search_result...w.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/vehicle/moped.shtml#Def

I have been riding here in Hermiston for over two years w/o any problems till last Saturday. No ticket, but he told me I had to have a MC endorsement, lights attached to the bike, and reflectors, and under 50 CC, but made no mention of insurance, registration, or insurance and license plate. He was incorrect on the lights, the CC limitation, and the other requirements that were not mentioned.

I have heard that the police here are starting to harrass? people around here; all to poor to buy a real MC or legal moped, like I'd own a moped, or are disabled. Seeing how he was incorrect about the CC req., the lights and reflectors, and didn't mention the legal requirements for a motorized vehicle on Oregon Roadways, that if I carry the MC Moped Manual with me, which does not cover a motorized bicycle, and the bicycle manual, that he might just forget about it needing to be licensed. I did, a couple of days later, ride my bike down to the cop shop and tried to give some things I'd found that I thought favored me, but she would not take then. She did take my name and address and told me she would tell the officer that I'd requested some clarification on the issue. It's been five plus days, and he's not been by or called me to offer me any information one way or the other. I think I can get by once on ignorance of the law, but not twice. I will push it till they ticket me and then plead insanity. I was stopped by a stater for an incomplete stop, but no ticket. He told me all I needed was a drivers license, and I'm going to rely on his information over a city cop. I've ridden my bike in all the towns around here, and other than the above two instances, have not even been looked at hard.

Hope any of this is useful to someone.

Now then, to try to find out if a 35 CC mounted on a bike makes it a scooter by Oregon definition and thereby legal to ride. Then comes a shift kit I guess. I will not be held back!!!

Good luck,

Gary

Last edited:

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
Welcome to the forum Pyro. You guys are lucky in a way and I'm lucky in a way. I used to live in Portland it's by far the prettiest place to ride, whereas here in Central Texas the scenery is duller than moldy cow patty but atleast I can ride my 66cc without the cops bothering me.

Gus PDX

Feb 23, 2012
Portland, OR
From: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/vehicle/pocketbike_factsheet.shtml

Motor-assisted Scooter
According to ORS 801.348, a motor-assisted scooter:
Is designed to be operated on the ground with not more than three wheels;
Has handlebars and a foot support or seat;
Can be propelled by human or motor;
Has a motor capable of propelling it no faster than 24 miles per hour on a level road; and
Has a motor no bigger than 35 cubic centimeters or, if electric, has a power output of no more than 1,000 watts.

Moped
According to ORS 801.345, a moped:
Is designed to be operated on the ground upon wheels;
Has a seat or saddle for use of the rider;
Is designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground;
Is equipped with an independent power source that is capable of propelling the vehicle, unassisted, at a speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on a level road surface; and if the power source is a combustion engine, has a piston or rotor displacement of 35.01 to 50 cubic centimeters regardless of the number of chambers in the power source; and
Is equipped with a power drive system that functions directly or automatically only and does not require clutching or shifting by the operator after the system is engaged.

A bicycle equipped with a power source may be classed as a moped if it meets all the moped requirements and also does not meet either the definition of an electric assisted bicycle as defined in ORS 801.258, or a motor assisted scooter as defined in ORS 801.348.