New older guy

GoldenMotor.com

boofbike

Apr 5, 2013
Piute County, Ut.
Hi All,
I just signed up here to learn more about these engine powered bicycles. I have been riding bicycles on and off since 1954. I always love anything on 2 wheels, which includes motorcycles too. When my oldest son was about 5 years old, I modified (lowered) an old Junker 20 inch Schwinn, Stingray bike so he could ride it. I made it look like an old board tracker. In the 70s I worked as an R&D tech. for "Triple A Motorcycle Accessories" in Gardena, CA. We did all the prototype work for Kawasaki's All aluminum frame 20" racer motocross bicycles and eventually manufactured them too. I also have ridden motorcycles since 1963. I still ride motorcycles. I have been interested in these motorized bicycles for about 20 years, now that I am retired (Worked as a Tool & Die Maker) I want to build a 4 stroke engine powered bicycle. Probably use it to make trips back and forth to the liquor store, Dang, I just remembered there are no liquor stores here in Utah. At least not like the ones in California. I want to make my motorized bike look retro styled, like the old timer early engine powered bicycles from the 1900s. Anyway I am looking forward to learning a lot from all you experts out there. dnut

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome Boof,
You've found the right place to enjoy and share this quirky hobby. Lots of experience here to draw from if you need help or advice.
Good luck, have fun and ride safe.

Tom

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
welcome to the wonderful world of motorized bicycles. for me its the fountain of youth. i think you are going to find this a passion more then a hobby. great to have you with us

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. I was going to say that you need a Goldwing to ride to the liquor store in Utah until I read your entire post. That CBX is a real monster.

boofbike

Apr 5, 2013
Piute County, Ut.
Welcome to the forum. I was going to say that you need a Goldwing to ride to the liquor store in Utah until I read your entire post. That CBX is a real monster.
Thanks!,The '79 CBX was a real hot rod in it's day. The red '96 ZX11D was twice as fast! I owned that CBX for 18 years (road it from LA, CA. to Montana in '95) and sold it for a $1000, more than I paid for it new.
I am really looking forward to building one of these motorized bicycles. Looks like there is a lot to learn, the dos and don'ts, learning curve.
~Fred

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Hey Boof, I'm new to this forum (bout the only thing I've been new at for a while), and have been surprised at how many of the members at old dudes like me. I thought I would be interacting with a lot of kids who couldn't relate to "where I am in life," but, man was I wrong! Anyway, you sound like just the kind of guy who will really like what goes on here.

boofbike

Apr 5, 2013
Piute County, Ut.
Thanks, Moto pope, I have been reading threads non-stop since I first joined. I am putting to together a list of parts to build my first "gas engine powered bicycle". I think doing the research on Forums like this is the best way to get the facts about what's, what. Whew! got to get back to researching.
~Fred

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
boofbike & Moto pope,
Welcome to both of you guys. Yes, there are a lot of us here who are older. 68 myself, but lots of guys in the middle age range and somewhat younger. There's a lot of cumulative experience and knowledge, too. Some are tool & die makers, mechanics, engineers... but most of us are just boys who never totally grew up. Which in my opinion is a good thing.
Some have great shops and others, like me, work outdoors in the summer time. One thing we share in common is having a whole lot of fun. We also have fine moderators who do their best to keep this a civil and helpful place for sharing. Hats off to them and to Paul who started this forum. Good to have you guys join us.
SB

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Old dogs, new tricks... Guys, I have a long history of adopting the "trial and error" system of building, whether hot rod, motorcycle, or bathroom make over. Beginning this new (and totally cool) hobby, I find this place where many others have made the mistakes before me. Think of the time, energy, and cash I'll save!

boofbike

Apr 5, 2013
Piute County, Ut.
I guess I fall into the boy who never grew up. I cant use all my old trade experiences because I no longer have access to machine shops or welders. But, I can mechanic and "Rube Goldberg" as well as the next guy. Another hobby of about 3 is RC electrics (Model Aircraft) learned a lot from that too.
I wish I had an old "Harley Davidson Bicycle" (in excellent condition) I seen in 1958 stored in a friends stair well. That bicycle must have weighed 75 Lbs. with front and rear suspension. I don't think a China Girl could power it.
.xx.

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
I grew-up once, didn't care much for it. Thought I'd try the boyhood thing again, only this time with more money and experience. Should work better this time. Anyway, that's why I'm cruising this forum.

boofbike

Apr 5, 2013
Piute County, Ut.
Well, I want to than you all for the great welcome.
I found a couple photos of the Kawasaki BMX bikes I help R&Dd and designed/built the production tooling (Welding fixtures) when I worked at "Triple A Motorcycle Accessories" in Gardena, California during the mid 70s. There was (2) versions of the bike, an Aluminum frame (in photos) and a steel frame which was painted Kawi Green.
Cheers!

Attachments

boofbike

Apr 5, 2013
Piute County, Ut.
Cool little bike. Looks like there might be enough room in the frame for a China girl kit motor.
SB
Thank you, Here is one of the many stories from back in the day. One of the younger company owners, who looked like Frank Zappa and Groucho Marks rolled up in one, and had an I.Q. that looked like a Social Security Number. Who will call Ed Jr. made a set of skis to fit on one of those bikes and took it up into the mountains to play in the snow, it looked really cool, I thought it was a great idea. When He got back He tossed the skis in the dumpster. I asked why He did that. Ed Jr. told me it was one of the most dangerous ideas he ever had! He Said it was nothing short of a suicide machine. I think putting a China girl in one would have been a better idea. Those were great times. Way too many funny stories to tell here. Like a 250 CZ uni-cycle.
~Fred

Last edited: