Howdy from San Antonio, new to motor bikes

GoldenMotor.com

MikeSSS

May 15, 2012
San Antonio, TX
The motor bike thing has bitten another person, this time it's me.

There sure a lot of ways to build a motor bike, right now I'm thinking friction drive, with a Subaru or Honda engine. One of each is in operation here in NW San Antonio, they are pretty quiet and look good on the road. If one of these riders reads this, please contact me, I want to hear all about it and see the bike too.

Then there are the China Girl bikes, there are a couple around here, they too look good on the road.

A big goal is to get 100 mpg or more, hopefully a lot more. I ride a 163 cc Kymco scooter, it's best mileage is about 75 mpg. It is very reliable and very easy to own and use.

Any and all advice and comments are greatly appreciated.

PS, some of the pocket bike vendors have motor/CVT combos for reasonable prices. These are 49cc two stroke motors bolted to a CVT. These look like a good solution, the motor to be replaced with a Subaru or Honda four stroke at a later time. Guess CVT systems need to drive the right side of the hub and that side needs to drive a pedal system chain as well.

Decisions, decisions, but hey, thats half the fun!

Mike

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Here is a written law in Texas you can build within.

SUBCHAPTER E. MOTOR-ASSISTED SCOOTERS

Sec. 551.351. DEFINITIONS. In this subchapter: (1)"Motor-assisted scooter": (A) means a self-propelled device with: (i) at least two wheels in contact with the ground during operation; (ii) a braking system capable of stopping the device under typical operating conditions; (iii) a gas or electric motor not exceeding 40 cubic centimeters; (iv) a deck designed to allow a person to stand or sit while operating the device; and (v) the ability to be propelled by human power alone; and (B) does not include a pocket bike or a minimotorbike