Howdy from Jersey!

GoldenMotor.com

bigcam59

Feb 17, 2010
New Jersey
Bigcam here, road captain for the Jersey Devils Bicycle club. I've been toying with the idea of building one of these for some time, and fate intervened! I am now the proud owner of a motorized Pope! The bike was all original except for, of course, the motor...

I've been playing with it a bit and here is how it looks now...

Can't wait for the rain to stop so I can try her out!

bigcam59

Feb 17, 2010
New Jersey
The Club is now up to 7 members. As for the Pope, I saw it on Craig's list and contacted the seller. He wrote back saying that since he got so many responses he put it on Ebay. It was local pickup so that cut down the number of bidders, and I lucked out! The bike itself looks to be original, right down to the skiptooth chain and all the rust. I had it out today and it's a blast! I just wish I could make it legal to ride...such is NJ though.

bigcam59

Feb 17, 2010
New Jersey
Unfortunately, yes. In a nutshell, if it wasn't born a moped in NJ, you can't make it a moped in NJ. I could be wrong, though...I'm kinda new at this

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Here's what New Jersey 39:1-1 says:

"Motorized bicycle" means a pedal bicycle having a helper motor characterized in that either the maximum piston displacement is less than 50 cc. or said motor is rated at no more than 1.5 brake horsepower or is powered by an electric drive motor and said bicycle is capable of a maximum speed of no more than 25 miles per hour on a flat surface.

You'll also have to register it as well but as long as you aren't over 50 cc and don't go over 25 mph you may be in luck. Also 39:4-14(3a) is the starting point most of section 14 is on motorized bicycles in New Jersey law.

Last edited: