Motorized Bicycle Storytime 101... What do U use URs 4? Post UR stories here!

GoldenMotor.com

MTB Moto

Dec 4, 2009
USA
A place for telling your uses or happenings concerning your personal MB...

Some examples:

Show it off
To get to your job
Going for smokes
Touring around
Off road fun
Delivering the newspaper
Just for the fun of building it

Post'em up... we all enjoy a good story!
.wee.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Re: MB Storytime 101... What do U use URs 4? Post UR stories here!

Mostly cruising the neighborhood and giong to the Saturday car show for coffee and donuts. Sometimes for an organized ride. Occasionally truck them out with a friend to take in a nice country rode. Racing. Oh, and of course, showing them off.

MTB Moto

Dec 4, 2009
USA

Here's mine...

... latest experiment, to build a MB capable of traveling 32 miles round rip over paved country roads(PA legal) to MTB trail head, carrying trail maintenance tools(might have to use a trailer) then traveling down trails with low impact to repair, maintain or build trail features...

...so far no other MBs have been seen in my area yet, only my other rides, except for one guy who rides a mini bike(no pedals) on the sidewalk to get to work. My rig complete with trailer might cause heart attacks... LOL

I'll throw out this question: Thinking of using scooter or motorcycle(wider tires)wheels to support extra weight, do you feel this takes away from the MB profile?

...all input greatly appreciated
can't wait to hear your stories
.wee.

klb6154

Jun 20, 2010
pittsburgh pa

Just to see people stare when I pass by on sally! I moved last summer and just as I took the last load my crown vic. Pooped the bed perfict timing so I rode my mb for the whole month of september. The fun part was trying to get cases of beer home frm the beer distributer. Daily matenece was a must. 42° rake and pedals that hit the ground was. Fun. Like a wise old biker once told me chopprs are good for bar hopin but that's bout it.. changed some stuff. Much safer
And better lookin pics soon, I promise.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

I only use my minivan for trips where I'm taking the whole family. If it's just me, it's more practical and more fun to just pull out the motorbike. For short, local trips it's a blast. And mine gets a few stares along the way. And I've got a trunk on the back that holds more than you'd expect. It's a very economical and (I'd even say) therapeutic form of transportation. A real "feel good" machine.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

i use mine for short trips, as a backup for my car, or when i just want to go riding out having fun.

it turns heads when i'm cruising down the street at 40mph

it's currently got a 24" rear tire on it as of now (i need to get a new picture)

Attachments

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

My 2011 New Year's resolution was to ride my bike to work every day, rain or shine. It took a while to build a reliable commuter, but I've been doing so since last May. Weather is mid-70's to mid 80's, perfect for riding, as I've only been caught in the rain 5 times. The round trip is almost 12 miles. The roads are mostly decent. Traffic is heavy and constant during rush hour. Speeds are stop-and-go, then 20-25mph in town. At that rate, it's safer to claim the lane than ride on the edge. For a half-mile, it's WOT uphill, maybe 35mph in the curb lane. If traffic seems aggressive, I hop onto the sidewalk @ jogging speed, let the cagers race past, then jump back on the road again. My bike will do 40mph easily, but there's no need to go that fast to/from work.

It's like riding your favorite amusement ride for 30 minutes, 10 times a week! dance1

My favorite part of the ride is charging up a steep narrow dirt path for 45 seconds!

Preventive maintenance is constant. Disc brakes need readjusting every two weeks. Both chains on a shift kit bike need replacing at least once a year. I've learned the hard way that stiff bicycle chain links cause catastrophic damage.:-||

Tires and gasoline last a LONG time with shift-kitted bikes.

It's like driving my old hotrod VW Bug of bygone years. The Tanaka engine is reliable, it's cheap to build and maintain, it's easy to park, it handles well, and I LOVE to shift gears! xct2

Last edited:

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa

Just to see people stare when I pass by on sally! I moved last summer and just as I took the last load my crown vic. Pooped the bed perfict timing so I rode my mb for the whole month of september. The fun part was trying to get cases of beer home frm the beer distributer. Daily matenece was a must. 42° rake and pedals that hit the ground was. Fun. Like a wise old biker once told me chopprs are good for bar hopin but that's bout it.. changed some stuff. Much safer
And better lookin pics soon, I promise.
All I can say is after building mine is I want to do another 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 ,an I just LOVE everything about it the ride the look the interest it gets the folks who don't know what to make of you . mines still really fresh with only 8 mile on it an I want to put 800 more on it . an I dissagree choppers aren't just for bar hoppin .
Gary

clashed13

Aug 30, 2011
Michigan

since its winter now i usually just use it to go buy smokes but in the summer I always use it to cruise and show off.

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio

I use mine to get back and fourth to work in the summer, and just to cruise around sometimes. Seems pointless to start up the truck up and drive 4 miles down the road, kinda hard on em anyways. Also getting to work for a week on gas left over from mowing the yard rules.

Last edited:

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn

ChOnce in a while I use min as a pack-horse to go to the lake to attempt to catch a fish (usualy never do) or to check my gopher traps. Fun little machine but for long distances its either my gilera or my dads indian dirtbike he let's me ride (1972 50~4)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA

I built them to take my mind off my pain.

I ride them for fun and errands.

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO

for me going on fishing trips short drives comuteing to places.

and when you get bored and want to go on a drive its nice to drive something that gets 150 mpg and you can go nice and slow and just take the world in .

MTB Moto

Dec 4, 2009
USA

Just saw fuel prices going to 5 bucks a gallon...

...thus adding another feature to our great little machines...

...so I started a Fuel Saver thread:
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=36910

This energized me to plan and create an ultra high mileage MB, I hope others join in too!

Thanks friends!

Sorry I guess I don't have enough posts to enable HTML hyperlinks to work do just copy and paste...

MTBMoto
cvlt1

SlowJoe

Feb 10, 2012
Vista, California

For fun, Cheap speed on two wheels... Once I'm done with break in, to see people reactions when I'm keeping up with cars.

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona

I use my bikes everyday rain or shine, and its almost always "shine" here in Az. I use the kids trailer to take my other toys to the park- to pick up other bikes to motorize- to the grocery store and of course to take my daughter to school, she loves it! Of course it takes some maintenance but I always keep two bikes on hand so I can always ride (I still ride even with my broken ankle in a cast)

Attachments