do i need a new bike?

GoldenMotor.com

yehtti

Jan 6, 2012
coos bay oregon
hello i have a giant revel 2 mountain bike and im not sure i can fit a motor on it this will be my first build and i dont wanna mess my bike up too bad because its expensive so heres a picture what do u think is it able to be motorized?

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
with the exception of the waterbottle boss's welded on, you've got plenty of room for a motor.

i think, though, that you've already answered your own question. if you feel that putting a motor on it is going to "mess it up," you should get another bike.

the motor and all it's components bolt on, and can be unbolted, too. meaning, the most that's gonna happen is you'll scratch it up, spill gas on it, probably torque your back wheel out of true, and worse case scenario, crash it and really "mess it up."

my opinion, is that it would make an ugly motorized bike anyway, so buy something used and cheap off craigslist, make all your mistakes there, then build something better.

yehtti

Jan 6, 2012
coos bay oregon
thanks but i guess i should ask more clearly will i have to change any thing about the performance of my bike like take the gears off or anything and i know it will look ugly but im goin for performance not looks i want my first build to be good qaulity so what my main question is will my bike still shift gears or would i be better off getting a single speed?

Last edited:

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
thanks but i guess i should ask more clearly will i have to change any thing about the performance of my bike like take the gears off or anything and i know it will look ugly but im goin for performance not looks i want my first build to be good qaulity so what my main question is will my bike still shift gears or would i be better off getting a single speed?
Bairdco is right , if you do not want to loose the ability to shift gears add a sickbikeparts hd shiftkit , got one on mine an I absolutly love it .
Gary

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Your bike will still shift gears, but only when you're pedaling. The motor is independent of the pedaling drivetrain unless you use an SBP shift kit or the likes. A shift kit is a jackshaft that transfers the engine power over the the pedaling drive train in which case you can then shift gears using the motor as well.

dnut

yehtti

Jan 6, 2012
coos bay oregon
well as long as the gears i peddle with still shift ill be good just waiting on my motor now ill put some pictures up and let u guys know how it goes when the bikes finished

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
If you don't want to harm the paint then you should put atleast some kind of thin barrier between 2 mounts and the bike. I used rubber, however most people here will ward you away from rubber as it has a tendency to break the studs. For some, it works fine.

If you ask me, I think a motor would look great on it.. Preferably a black one. You'll more than likely need a large down tube adapter though, the stock motor mount won't fit that bottom tube.