polyethylene 4"x17" pipe- fuel tank

GoldenMotor.com

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
wanting to know has anyone tried this? if so what pipe sealant did you use? thanks for your input.also wondering if plastic/vinyl paint would stick or flake off? plan on sanding and degreasing prior to paint. thanks again.this forum has been a great help .laff

foundmydog

Oct 17, 2011
South Carolina, USA
I built a PVC tank for fun well over a year ago and have left it in the garage without a drop coming out of it turning it every which way I left it...

Had it sitting on Styrofoam the entire year plus and sure you know how gas eats that stuff.... not a single drop!

You should use "SEALS ALL" to connect the PVC pieces and NOT regular cement.... the SEALS ALL is gasoline proof! Found it at Lowe's in the glue section for ~$5 a tube or so

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
great,seals all,sounds like a trip to lowes,you say you used pvc,how does the inside look did it not eat interior lining of the pvc or did you coat it with gas tank sealer?ive heard that pvc and petrol react together,whats your experience?thanks for your input.

foundmydog

Oct 17, 2011
South Carolina, USA
There has been NO leaks at all for over a year at any of the seals between pieces...

I have seen a few pieces of hardened SEALS ALL floating in the tank, but obviously from using too much that came off inside the tank.

With an inline fuel filter, there would be no harm at all to the carb or engine... the inside of the PVC tank is holding up well as it still looks brand new with no noticeable deterioration at all

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
thanks for the input,think ill give it a try,plan on 3 1/2" x 20" wanting to hold close to gal.i think the formula is dia x dia x length gives the cubic vol... and 231 cu.in = 1 gal i think thats the way to fig.thanks again

Last edited:

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
thanks for the input,think ill give it a try,plan on 3 1/2" x 20" wanting to hold close to gal.i think the formula is dia x dia x length gives the cubic vol... and 321 cu.in = 1 gal i think thats the way to fig.thanks again
Almost! The formula for volume of a cylinder is pi(r^2)l so that would be 3.14(1.75^2)20 = 192.4 cubic inches

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
ol, pi so long forgot,and i ate alot this weekend,lol,thanks, pvc can you paint using primer and reg paint?or is there a special paint needed?can i use plastic / vinyl paint? better to ask then waste time and money..thanks

Last edited:

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
thanks for the link,and for the formula for finding the volume.trying to achive one gal.if space allows.also like a behind the seat tank as a reserve,for those back country rides.thanks again. ran the numbers if space allows im going to build one 4"x19"should be just over 1gal.with out this site i would be lost,many thanks to all for your help.

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Wouldn't it be great if someone came up with a tank- and I guess it could be PFC- in a size and shape that would fit most cruiser frames? I'd love to be able to carry my fuel under the top tube- a lower center of gravity and more aerodynamic-

I've long since switched over to the smaller tank anyway, and it looks like something could fit there that would hold just as much gas.

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
i did a behind the seat mount on my bike build just used some pipe clamps to cinch it down to the cargo rack in the back . the outlet i used when i built it was one size up from the hose that goes into my carb so i put some of the smaller peice on first then sliped the fuel line right over .

hope that saves you a headache