What's going on with motorized bicycle kits and the EPA?

GoldenMotor.com

jonnymac58

Jul 22, 2011
Colorado
Re: What's going on with MB kits and the EPA?

I am new to this, just made my first build. I cant figure out how to post a new thread!? can someone point me in the right direction. thank you

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Just Kidding!!!

Try to post your question in the right sub-forum, like if you have an exhaust problem, post in the exhaust/intake forum. If you just have pics or Vids, there's a pics, and a Vids section.

Welcome, but try to read stickies, and use the search(it's up top under Bikeberry's ad)

Attachments

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

I just got this new motor from Lucky Early Bird. The bird is the word. I don't know if anyone noticed, but when ordering from LEB or Boy Go Fast, your money goes to the same place, Rico Group Inc.

This sticker indicates it's 2011 EPA certified. The motor has a NT carb. If that's all on the up and up, then I really think Grubee blew it buying motor kits with the crappy CNS carb. What was the point?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

One thing I wonder about is the lack of a factory name on the sticker. Every other motor kit I've gotten had the name of the factory where it was made. Maybe Rico Group is the factory?

Dagwood

Aug 4, 2011
ilinois

Gents...That is a FAKE EPA compliance Label. OR maybe I should say...it NOT a compliance label. Weather or not it is intended to make you think it is I cannot say.
It does NOT have the EPA issued compliance number on it. That number is the key to the whole EPA scheme. A Manufacturer registers with the EPA..then provided proof that they build the engine to the standards required, and that process is a long and tedious process called " EPA Verify"
it involves maintaing a database on the EPA's computors..mirrored on the Mfg's and updated monthly. THEn..after the EPA decides you, the mfg, are compliant they issue you a compliance number and the mfg must affix it to their engine on a label..even the verbage on the label is specified by the EPA. That way, when an EPA inspector, (part of all the jobs the administration created in 2011) looks at it, he can determine by checking the EPA database, that the MFG is in compliance. The fact is...even if you build an engine or a product that fullfills all the requirements set forth in the Clean air act...but it does NOT have a label with your compliance number on it, it is illegal to sell it in the USA. I currently have many customers in the USA building equipment per the regs, but have not recieved their compliance number yet. One particular customer, who builds firefighting equipment, began the process the first week in jan, 2011 , when the "EPA verify" system went online, and still, as of sept 2011 has not been issued a number, even tho the equipment is built to specs. His exact words to me last week was.."Its been like giving birth" countless requests for additional docs..affidavits and the like..all accompanied by weeks inbetween responses...The really ironic thing is..Every single component used is ALREADY EPA approved..
AS an application engineer for an engine distributor in the USA, I am involved very extensively in this process and the beauracratic horse$$$t is unbelievable.
ARGHHHHH!@

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Gents...That is a FAKE EPA compliance Label. OR maybe I should say...it NOT a compliance label. Weather or not it is intended to make you think it is I cannot say.
I was thinking it looks pretty suspect. If China thumbs their nose at our laws, our politicians will roll over and play dead. They own us.

We just canceled an EPA rule that was going to dramatically raise costs for power plants this year.

Last year a new federal law went into effect banning freon 22 condensing units. They were unavailable for about 9 months. Then they started showing up again. After being warned about this law for the last 5 years, apparently nobody decided to check what the law actually said.

It turned out the law didn't say they couldn't make them, it only said they couldn't ship them with freon already in them.

The government couldn't stop Carrier, couldn't stop big coal, so what's the chance they'll be sucessful stopping China shipping little 2 stroke motors? So far I'd say not much.

Dagwood

Aug 4, 2011
ilinois

Biknut, you are certainly correct...nothing anyone here can do about a chinese company. Courts here can lavy a fine on them if they want..but they have no enforcement authority in china thats for sure. They can only attach you if you have assets in the USA, which I think is why no Chinese engine companies have established distribution networks here, as the Japanese and european engine companies have.
However..that being said, the EPA inspectors have already been visiting many companies here in the USA..and fineing them for selling non-compliant equipment and engines. It really makes you grit your teeth to read the EPAs "enforcement actions" website. It is a bragg'n page listing all the US companies they have fined..they began in jan this year, and they have already visited our warehouse, and the warehouse of other engine and equipment distributors. The EPA inspector personell always show up in two's, they show their credentials and state they are here to inspect the inventory. The ones that showed up at our warehouse were responsible for inspecting everything from cattlefarms to gas stations, and did not speak the language of our industry. They were only interested in labels. They have the authority to levy fines to anyone involved in the "sales chain" as we were told...manufacturer, wholesaler, or retailer. Their website seems to verify this because they list the zillions of dollars they have extracted from all of the above.
Luckily, we were legal.. mostly because our engines are 120 days away from us, (they came in march, and we had only 2010 production) and we have no equipment in the warehouse. We only distribute Honda engines, and Honda, being always a target due to the size of the company, (deep pockets) wont bring engines here that are not compliant. and as for the engines that we sell without fuel systems on them..We have already informed all US manufacturers that if they are not compliant with EPA regs..we must stop shipping engines to them.....talk about a bite in the..grrrr..

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida

I was thinking it looks pretty suspect. If China thumbs their nose at our laws, our politicians will roll over and play dead. They own us.

We just canceled an EPA rule that was going to dramatically raise costs for power plants this year.

Last year a new federal law went into effect banning freon 22 condensing units. They were unavailable for about 9 months. Then they started showing up again. After being warned about this law for the last 5 years, apparently nobody decided to check what the law actually said.

It turned out the law didn't say they couldn't make them, it only said they couldn't ship them with freon already in them.

The government couldn't stop Carrier, couldn't stop big coal, so what's the chance they'll be sucessful stopping China shipping little 2 stroke motors? So far I'd say not much.
From what I have heard if you throw a little money around, getting stuff across the Texas border is easy ?

Texas will make sure we get our stuff ! :)

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia

Biknut Greg here, does the air filter mount the same on the new carb as an old nt? I am finishing up a 48cc bgf kit that has no markings what so ever on anything. The only thing I see between the carbs is the filter change, have not opened up the carb yet because I'm doing it for a friend and will wait till he wants to.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Biknut Greg here, does the air filter mount the same on the new carb as an old nt? I am finishing up a 48cc bgf kit that has no markings what so ever on anything. The only thing I see between the carbs is the filter change, have not opened up the carb yet because I'm doing it for a friend and will wait till he wants to.
The kit I just bought has a regular looking nt carb with a black air filter, just like all the NTs I've seen have.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl

1st gen cns's don't have the same filter.
i have one. i wish it was the same filter as my speed carb.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia

Thats what I thought, this bgf carb has a differant filter thats all I see that has changed. This engine has no marking at all, all the box has is BGF Z50.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

However..that being said, the EPA inspectors have already been visiting many companies here in the USA..and fineing them for selling non-compliant equipment and engines.
European, Japanese, and American companys are fair game, especially American. Chinese products are a different story.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia

The one i'm working on is a NT, just with a differant mounting black filter cover. Like what was said earlier are these kits old stock from 2009 or are these reboxed with the nt carb?

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl

Excellent news.

If the Chinese government doesn't want these smog machines on their streets, then why should we?

Yeah, catalytic converter mufflers. It worked for a while, the exhaust didn't stink of unburned hydrocarbons for the first half gallon of gas. After that it was stink city baby.

I hate that motor. It's loud and it stinks.

Let's get more 4 strokes!
USING Amsoil Sabre 100:1 for a year and still no smoke, no smell, excellent performance

yodar