brand new to this so.. i have a few questions!

GoldenMotor.com

La-Rider

Aug 12, 2008
Hi there, i have been riding Gopeds since January when my license got suspsended and was having a lot of fun getting around in Hollywood but then problem after problem and maintenance after maintenance and i gave up a few weeks ago and decided to bycicle but then!..i saw one of these motorbycicle on craigslist and found my way to this site..I am looking to set up relatively quick so i have a few questions if you guys don't mind...

1- can anyone recomend a good dealer/technician in the Los Angeles (preferebly Hollywood) area? ((problem with my goped is i had to drive 35 miles every time i had a problem with it!))

2- what are the limitiations of what bycicles you can and cant put these kits on.. e.g BMX bikes?..Fixie's ?(fixed gear bikes) and what in your opinion is the best type of bike

3- i hear chinese kits are pretty much a no (no offence) but Japanese is a-go! if so where can i find Japanese kits?..

4- is there a lot of maintenance with these things, i will prob be doing about 10-20 miles on it a day..im not engine savy..so looking for the most reliable 'kits'

5- And lastly if you have any other suggestions or tips for someone looking to get stuck in, would like to hear from you..

looking forward to your responces. luke

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Hi Luke, Welcome to the other side! I was a big supporter of the scooter scene. I've raced almost every league (ISA,IGPA and USSRL and AMMRA) and know how much maintenance goes into keeping a reliable goped. Not all chinese motors are bad. I think Chris Hill makes the best chinese motors but he's not the cheapest...for good reasons. If you want a Japanese motor, you can go with a 40 Zenoah with a friction drive. Of course there is the CY 420 and 460 but then again they're chinese motors with plating issues. Personally, I'll pay the extra money so I can get the extra reliability. That's why I went with the Italian motor.
Also I can't forget about the 4 strokers. I don't know alot about them but I hear they're pretty reliable. Again Welcome aboard. The guys hear are extremely helpful and will give you solid answers without B.S.ing you.

AKA Team Kenny on GPN

La-Rider

Aug 12, 2008
Hi Luke, Welcome to the other side! I was a big supporter of the scooter scene. I've raced almost every league (ISA,IGPA and USSRL and AMMRA) and know how much maintenance goes into keeping a reliable goped. Not all chinese motors are bad. I think Chris Hill makes the best chinese motors but he's not the cheapest...for good reasons. If you want a Japanese motor, you can go with a 40 Zenoah with a friction drive. Of course there is the CY 420 and 460 but then again they're chinese motors with plating issues. Personally, I'll pay the extra money so I can get the extra reliability. That's why I went with the Italian motor.
Also I can't forget about the 4 strokers. I don't know alot about them but I hear they're pretty reliable. Again Welcome aboard. The guys hear are extremely helpful and will give you solid answers without B.S.ing you.

AKA Team Kenny on GPN
lol thats so funny about Zenoah engines..cause we use zenoah for goped engines as well.. Italian motors?? what and where can i find them, that sounds very interesting..

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
lol jus noticed Team Kenny..im La-Rider thas so funny i see you everywhere on there
Yeah, my buddy Fonz started my little following! LOL
I'm just glad he took down my picture on everyone's avatar that raced the ISA. haha rotfl
I was going to say you should keep you ped in tact just incase your bicycle goes down.
The italian motors can be bought from Dean at Pipelyne or SCSW/BoXer in the scooter world.

La-Rider

Aug 12, 2008
O cool so where can i find Dean at Pipelyne? i googled and nothing came up..i found this store next to me and i think im gonna try and replicate what they got going on (for $3,500!!) Anyone know any motorbycicling stores/mechanics in Los Angeles?

pedalpower

Aug 5, 2008
welcome to the forum. So, I have to be honest, I think your primary transportation needs to be very dependable. why aren't you just building up a reliable bike and have your MB project on the side? just my .02

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I hate to be a party pooper, but you should check your local laws regarding licensing requirements for riding a motorized bicycle. Chances are with a suspended license riding one of these will be a no-go. (unless your license has been reinstated of course)

La-Rider

Aug 12, 2008
I hate to be a party pooper, but you should check your local laws regarding licensing requirements for riding a motorized bicycle. Chances are with a suspended license riding one of these will be a no-go. (unless your license has been reinstated of course)
Yeah you don't need a license here you just need to be over 16

La-Rider

Aug 12, 2008
yeah..so is it the general consensus that if im looking for something reliable motorbycicling is not the way to go?! i thought people were using this to commute on a daily basis...

La-Rider

Aug 12, 2008
also where can these engine kits be purchased?? isnt there a classifieds on this site? pls help need to take this to the next level..cheers

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
also where can these engine kits be purchased?? isnt there a classifieds on this site? pls help need to take this to the next level..cheers
Just my two cents which is all my opinion is worth to you.

Detonator tuning solution is selling a gebe kit for $350.00 without an engine.

http://motorbicycling.com/f23/fs-trade-gebe-kit-105g-rearwheel-2674.html#post27940

Gebe is a nice kit under 3 hp. Hard to beat.
A china girl or Happy time kit is available from Blue Collar Bikes for a nice price.

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
Yeah you don't need a license here you just need to be over 16
You technically have to register your MB with the DMV using a constructed vehicle form. A license is not necessary as long as your motor is under 50cc. You are also required to wear a helmet. You cannot ride in a separated bike lane. Ride only on the street or on a bike lane attached to a road. Follow the speed limit as a motorized bike qualifies you as a motorized vehicle. Your motorized bike is considered a moped.

DMV Search Results: moped law