Running out of ideas (chain tension/sprocket alignment issues)

GoldenMotor.com

lolitsdaelan

Apr 23, 2010
Indianapolis
So I was having tons of issues with my chain tensioner that caused me to taco 2 tires so far. I didn't have the outside rubber isolator because the sprockets lined up perfectly without it. The problem was, that if the chain fell off, which it did obviously, there was no buffer between the sprocket and the spokes, and the chain dug itself between the two and destroyed the tire. So now I've gotten rid of the tensioner all together (I have rear drop outs) and I've managed to find what appears to be the perfect tension. I also put the outside rubber isolator on there as a safety precaution.

Now the problem is that the drive sprocket doesnt line up with the rear sprocket, and the chain will eventually fall off because its being pulled inwards, since the isolator causes the rear sprocket to sit further out.

The only idea I have left is to try a wider chain. Anyone have luck with this? Or anyone have any other advice?

I'm so ready to give up on this :(

cbabb

Apr 7, 2010
Zephyrhills
Hey i could sell you a sprocket chain guard type thing. it bolts to the back of the sprocket so the chain doesn't come off and rip out the spokes. You will won't taco any more wheels. Even if the idler and chain isn't lined up. here's a pic. The pictures aren't very good but they work.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
cbabb,,,those guards look like a good idea,,how much are they,,,I would think one on each side and no more issues jumping period

lolitsdaelan

Apr 23, 2010
Indianapolis
OMG I GOT IT RUNNING AND IT DIDNT FALL OFF!!! AHHHHHHH!H!!

So apparently the chain wasnt tight enough!! Who woulda thought??

Some questions though, now that it's running. (I never stop asking :p)
I'm seeing a little bit of white smoke from the exhaust, is this normal?
Also, I was riding the bike around for a few minutes, and found that when the choke was off (all the way down), throttling would kill the engine. When the choke is all the way up, throttling caused the bike to shake and ruin really rough. I found that about 3/4 of the way up, and the bike runs smoothly, which doesn't make any sense to me, thoughts?

****** MOVED TO NEW THREAD ******

Last edited:

junked

May 2, 2010
Mass.
I bet the chain falls off again. The narrow kit chain was nothing but problems for me. I got this chain HD 415 Chain Nice Quality!! from Pirate cycles and it never fell off again. Perfect alignment is not even necessary, but try your best. This is a wider chain that will fix your chain problems.