Cranbrook owners, a warning.

GoldenMotor.com

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Keep an eye on your frames. Just noticed this today when I stopped to top off the tank and nursed it the 15 miles home.

Looks like I have some work to do this weekend.:-||

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Wow, Kev. That's scary. Thanks for sharing this important bit of info.
What are your plans? It could be repaired by a competent welder.
Tom

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
I broke a costco frame last year right at the top of the front motor mount. Why I went to a GT frame. Really good/lucky thing you saw that. Glad you didn't hit the pavement.

rwquiring

Feb 18, 2010
Bend, Oregon
Thanks for the heads up, I will have to keep an eye on my frame. I went out for a ride earlier today and got a flat tire, bummer ohwell, I had my tools with me so I decided to change it, well I found out that my spare tube had a pin hole in it also and all I had was one cartridge to fill the tires with, lesson learned, take a hand pump also oh well, had to have the wife come and pick me up.

Q

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Got started on the repair tonight.

Cleaned up the repair area.

Made a cardboard template.

The repair plate made out of 1/16th inch steel I had laying around

One side done. It was getting late and as you can tell by the picture I was getting tired plus I didn't need any complaints about the noise coming from the shop.

Should be finished tomorrow night. :D

:edit:

Lets all put engines on the cheapest bikes we can find!!!
If things didn't break I'd have gotten bored with this a long time ago!

Attachments

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Maybe it was cause by the u-clamp you had pressed against the frame, and were you hauling heavy stuff on your rear rack or pulling a trailer.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
No, the clamp is just for my rack with only has my little tool pouch on it. I honestly don't know why the frame cracked where it did because sitting on the bike actually caused the crack on the left chain stay to close up.

omegaunderground

Sep 16, 2009
modesto
You know a lot of people don't like the Cranbrook's I actually like them a lot. While they may not be the best for an engine, they come stock super light. I put an engine on my beach cruiser (a nirve) and it weights a ton, I should know because I had to carry it 2 blocks tonight when the engine failed haha. Good fix on the frame the gusset idea looks like it will hold up. I might get a Cranny just for regular riding round the neighborhood I think they are great for the price.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
I have seen a few Cranbrook and huffy like this

I have seen a few Cranbrook and Huffy like this ., the frames of these two bikes seem to show stress after a while. i am starting to think it may be an good idea to weld cross bracing and support right after you mount the engines on store bought bicycles , before you even ride them , a pot hole could be deadly ! the next bicycle seems to have nice thick welds on the stong frames for an store bought wally world bike . but mounting an engine on one is impossible in my veiw ! i will make an motorized push cart for mine someday http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACTTALCLdl0&feature=related the motors here at this site will work

Last edited:

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
The bike as we know it was not designed to put a motor on,but we do and it works.Their are builders here that must save and do without other thing to make a dream come true and get their first kit.If you have a cranbrook use it,if it breaks fix it and say i did it myself.We have more creative builder on this forum than any place on earth.If you want to build a bike out of 2x4 lumber do it and post a picture of it.You only need to say 'I DID IT'.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
The bike as we know it was not designed to put a motor on,but we do and it works.Their are builders here that must save and do without other thing to make a dream come true and get their first kit.If you have a cranbrook use it,if it breaks fix it and say i did it myself.We have more creative builder on this forum than any place on earth.If you want to build a bike out of 2x4 lumber do it and post a picture of it.You only need to say 'I DID IT'.
bought my bike for 40 bucks at the fle market , its an 'next' monterey bay cruiser and is well built bike ,Motors in the frames of any bicycle in my opinion look cool. Two stroke look more like an motorcycle or motor bike to me than the four stroke . I had handle bars snap right off an bike no (name mentioned) and there was not an motor on the bike. The only reason I even mentioned Cranbrook , is it was posted as so. And a lot of people who put an motor on it said it showed signs of stress on the frame in less than a month. I even saw one on the ratings at walmart dot com where a guy made an statement about the motor he mounted on the bike . I really don’t take anyone’s opinion on bikes , safety , or any other statements as ones handed down by god . Nor do I use the web to treat or diagnose any illness , but hands on experience and knowledge and pictures , and success stories do count and are helpful , I have found the word warning and beware do make me more aware of an situation here at this site and other places . My neighbor has a sign that says beware of dog and it helped me a heap lol. And yes this is the best place to come for help on these motors , latter and I am still Kicking P.S I used this to mend and reinforce my frames canoe and even repaired a crack in a motor block
Marine tex .. its bad to the bone ! i get it at the local marina here in town . its for boats but it is very strong stuff.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
i agree with Venice, but i wouldn't have been so blunt about it.

like the old BMX sticker says, "if Huffy made airplanes, would you fly in one?"
if huffy made an plane in the movie castaway i would take a chance in that manner , but i have an old slant six that came out of duster and i heard they were used in planes , i wouldnt only fly with my beloved slant six but would put on auto pilot and catch a nap , heck airline pilots do it lol i just would feel safer with my own foolishness lol

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Just so everyone knows, this didn't happen right away. The bike has close to 700 miles of glass smooth Michigan roads under it's belt. lol

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
well it is nice to know that taxs are doing good there

Just so everyone knows, this didn't happen right away. The bike has close to 700 miles of glass smooth Michigan roads under it's belt. lol
well it is nice to know that taxs are doing good there . i have seen pot holes here that could swallow vw bugs, no joke ! the roads wash away all the time , i need a computer to program them in so as to dodge them next time i ride / i really dont know you kevlar . but i would say you have that many miles in a week lol you might make an good guinea pig and an test subject here at this site and at the sites that make motors to show just how much these motors and frames will take lol, i wish i had the money for an motor i am saving beer and soda cans i pick up and buy for 40cents a pound and sell at the yards for 79 cents a pound at the yards for money , my vends stay full all the time , must be the economy ? i am looking for a place to recycle plastic ? dont mean to get off thred and , and i might not catch you latter paste a link if you can thanks and i am still kicking P.S. do you work at Dupont ? i know a dude named Dave that worked there and had to quit because he had diabeites so bad , i worked at philip morris

Last edited: