ceramic paint

GoldenMotor.com

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
i would think so, i mean, it keeps you engine bay cool by insulating your exaust

ive painted lots of engines black using krylon enamel and never had paint burn off, you don't need special high temp stuff to paint these engines. You could ceramic coat your exaust to keep the carbon deposits and oily sludge away during winter.

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
yea i would imagine it would have the same insulating effect. Ive painted lots of engines using black krylon enamel, you don't need to but special high temp paint for these things. Except on the exhaust. I would think painting your exaust with an insulatingpaint would help keep the carbon build up away as well as the oily sludge drips.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Did you paint your engine or your exhaust with the ceramic paint.
If you painted your engine the paint might keep the heat in your engine and you don't want that. If you painted your exhaust the paint will keep the heat in your muffler and blow right out the end,so that shouldn't hurt anything but i don't see it helping either cause you don't have a engine compartment to keep cool.

regular high heat paint would work on engine and exhaust.
These mufflers and exhaust already get very hot without special paint.

Anyone looking to use ceramic paint should google it first.

Last edited:

beentryin

Apr 24, 2010
goshen,ohio
i painted the motor with it and when i run it for 20 mins or so it starts lose power because i think its getting to hot,from the paint

Last edited:

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
If it didnt run like that before you painted it and you did no other modifications then I would say its the paint. Try some brake clean to get it off of the engine. If that doesnt take it off rent a bead blaster.

Pat

beentryin

Apr 24, 2010
goshen,ohio
my mods are cleaned up ports and gasket matched,muffler has been hogged to match the port,and so has the intake,and the piston has had a relief cut in it to clear the intake and its been painted soon as i got it.and i think the paint makes it over heat

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
Most motors will lose a little power after they run for 10-15 min. You could run it richer which will result in less of a power loss but less power to stat out with as well. The paint was definitely not a good idea but i dont think it should effect performance THAT much.

I dont know much about this ceramic paint but if you want to remove it, a paint brush cleaning system might work. As a painter last summer i would take brushes that were rock hard with oil based or latex and they would be like new after a little soak. As i said i dont know if it would work fo ceramic paint but if the solvents in that stuff don't take the paint off, nothing will. So id look into this and if the brush cleaner doesn't work you either gotta sand it off or buy a new cylinder.

Also, im not sure when you last rode your bike but don't forget that the weather is getting warmer, and your engine just wont have as much power in the summer compared to winter.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
The Ceramic paint is stopping the heat transfer from inside your engine to the outside using the fins,your paint is keeping the heat inside your engine,remember these engines are aircooled,we want the heat to excape to keep the engine cooler, that paint is for exhaust manifolds and pipes to keep engine compartments cool,which we don't have engine compartments to keep cool.

Remove paint from your engine.

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
Renting a bead/sand blaster would be your best bet if you are going to remove that paint while the engine is on the bike. Any of the solvents/brake clean might effect the finish on your bike frame. The bead blaster is controlled where it goes by you. I believe that Home Depot rents them. Just make sure to cover the intake and any other areas that you dont want the stray beads to go with tape.

Pat

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Its called glyptal, yes some people use glyptal paint on insides of engines when doing hotrods or you just sand and pollish. If you use glyptal paint on inside of engine the engine must be very clean first and should only be done if you used it before.

I would reccomend that most people just port,pollish or sand, cause alot of people could mest up a inside of the engine paint job using special paint and have it flake off inside the engine.