any pics of custom motor mounts?

GoldenMotor.com

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
I had that problem on my delmar.I called Jim at manic mechanic and bought a sprocket kit to move my chain to the left.H.D.

Homer

Apr 20, 2009
SW Houston
Welcome Tommyboy1442,
I had a similar problem running 26x2.5 maxxis hookworms,chain rubbed bad. I started out with the stock flat 44 t from my first kit, then put 1 washer between all 9 bolts and the sprocket, it help but still rubbed more than I liked.
I then ordered a chrome offset 44t sprocket put it on with the teeth in the outward position 1 washer between all 9 bolts and the sprocket and no more rubbing.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Didja try turning the rear sprocket? The teeth are offset from the whole disk so they are pushed out on one side and pushed in on the other.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
space your rear sprocket out or flip it dished out to get tire and chain clearance, don't move engine over. unless your tire is 3" or larger.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
yea its a common problem, what you need to do is fli your sprocket over so the dish is out. if its a flat sprocket you need a dished one.

order an adaptor and sprocket from jim!

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
The problem is alot of us dont have the cash for these parts....

John-John

I think the cheapest way to offset a motor to either left or right is what Neat Times (forum member) has suggested. He did bent a quality mounting studs towards the desired direction and cut the motor mount in an angle. However, I do not know if it is reliable as I have not tried it. See Neat Times illustrations..

http://motorbicycling.com/attachmen...enging-mount-felt-bike-ht-off-set-mtr-mts.jpg

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I bet a $35 sprocket adapter would be a heck of a lot cheaper in the long run than messin' with the motor mounts like that...

*shrug*

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
I bet a $35 sprocket adapter would be a heck of a lot cheaper in the long run than messin' with the motor mounts like that...

*shrug*
What do you do if you dont have a hub that is the right size for a sprocket adaptor?To buy a wheel that is the right size adds up to even more cash....I wish I had the right size wheel or I would buy an adaptor....
John-John

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Call Jim, Pirate Cycles sells his adapter in two common sizes - but to the best of my knowledge he cuts them to size... Thus this statement on his website;

You must accurately measure the diameter of your hub by using a caliper, or micrometer, prior to ordering. The measurement must be accurate to .002".
I may have misinterpreted it, but heck - it's still worth a call ;)

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
alright well i figured out the sprocket deal,im using a bmx sprocket on a flip flop hub,now to figure out how to move the motor over so that the chain rides straight. even with the sprocket from jim,when running a 3 " tire,you still have to move the motor over a little,and then you have to widen your cranks . im gonna run a 3 piece profile racing crank and just widen the spindel to clear the motor.i have plenty of ideas of how i could make an offset mount,but milling and lathe machines would allow me to make a precise great looking and fuctioning part,inwhich i dont have access to,so i'll probably just get a chunk of aluminum,permanant marker,some drill bits and taps and a dremel and get to work.i'll post pics when done....it wont be easy,lots of metal shavings flyin everywhere-lol!....

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Call Jim, Pirate Cycles sells his adapter in two common sizes - but to the best of my knowledge he cuts them to size... Thus this statement on his website;

I may have misinterpreted it, but heck - it's still worth a call ;)
You interpreted it correctly...I have programs for 50+ different sizes and the list grows every month. The rub comes from hubs that are hour-glass shaped, or of some configuration that does not have at least 3/4" of straight cylindrical surface.

Jim

machiasmort

Aug 10, 2008
Buffalo,NY
Cut a thicker piece of ruber, "Floor mat" for car works, placed behind the sprocket, (dished out even), if you have too!

What do I know? I'm an idiot!

If you try to move the motor over, you will throw the concentricity of the sprockets off.

The front will look like( / )and the back like this (|) if the bike were on it's side.

We want them good and straight: |
xxxxxxxxxfloor mat spacerxxxxxxxx |

Last edited: