Greetings! I just bought my 1st Schwinn and I plan to modify the crap out of it

GoldenMotor.com

tymekiller

Apr 29, 2013
Texarkana

This is my 2001 Schwinn Heavy Duti. I bought it 3 days ago.

I went to a Schwinn forum before I found this one and as soon as I got there, people were telling me I didn't have a "Real" Schwinn, it isn't worth much, and never will be.

It felt like I walked in the door and immediately got kicked in the nuts.

Knowing that it isn't anything special makes me want to chop it to pieces and make something epic.

Consider this the "Before" picture.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Unless you bought it to resell it really doesn't matter in the slightest what folks think your bike is worth, all that matters is whether it's worth it to you. Funny thing about bike "experts" - if you say you're not selling & just asking about the bike's relative value, if they love it it's worth about eleventybillion kopeks, but you'd be hard pressed to find even one of them willing to cough up even half the price. If you're trying to sell, the crown jewels would be worth about treefiddy lol

I've a "not real" Schwinn, I've pounded the heck out of it & it's served me very well - yours is sweet in that it's different, a straight bar frame w/twin top tubes? Defo cool & a tank will look awesome in there (^)

tymekiller

Apr 29, 2013
Texarkana
The top tube is actually slightly curved. It is a very slight curve, very subtle. You can see the main curve right over the word "Heavy". The oversize balloon tires look wicked with the black rims. This bike is equipped with the "Schwinn Sofa" seat and it is wonderful. The thing looks and feels like a saddle. In every single picture of motorized bikes I have seen, not a one has a big Wald basket on the front.

According to every picture I have seen, I am going to have to cut the rear fender for the chain to have room.... Could I simply notch it?

When I went to the Schwinn forum all I was asking for was information about the bike in general. I didn't request an appraisal.

Bike snobs.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
A very cool bike but alas, not collectable. Just have fun with it, whether you chop it or ride as is.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Unless you bought it to resell it really doesn't matter in the slightest what folks think your bike is worth, all that matters is whether it's worth it to you. Funny thing about bike "experts" - if you say you're not selling & just asking about the bike's relative value, if they love it it's worth about eleventybillion kopeks, but you'd be hard pressed to find even one of them willing to cough up even half the price. If you're trying to sell, the crown jewels would be worth about treefiddy lol

I've a "not real" Schwinn, I've pounded the heck out of it & it's served me very well - yours is sweet in that it's different, a straight bar frame w/twin top tubes? Defo cool & a tank will look awesome in there (^)
Ditto:
I've built two 'non'Schwinns' that have served me well as well as the man who bought one of them. Both have over 1K miles and never a problem with the frames, the bearings, brakes or forks.

You go for it, Bro, and then ride past and laugh at those purest who don't know anything. I'll bet they even wear spandex.

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
According to every picture I have seen, I am going to have to cut the rear fender for the chain to have room.... Could I simply notch it?

I actually 'notched' my rear fender --- it worked fine. I also had to notch the kit's chain guard for clearance....also, not an issue!

Good luck and welcome to the party.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
tymekiller- Man you really screwed up buying that bike. You better punish yourself by powering it with a gasoline engine and then having so much freakin fun you won't be able to stand yourself.
Welcome to the forum, you will find knowledgeable, helpful people here.
Good luck!(^)

tymekiller

Apr 29, 2013
Texarkana
Yesterday I took the bike apart, chopped the rear fender, and painted the frame. Like an idiot I lost 2 of the 4 screws that hold the back fender on. As of right now I am leaving the "Wald" rack off of the front until I get a motor strapped in there. It becomes obvious you are carrying an extra 10 pounds over the front wheel after a few miles or so. I am so happy with my bike! It is looking great and is going to be awesome.

tymekiller

Apr 29, 2013
Texarkana
I put it back together and I will continue the transformation. I posted under the Cruisers section and I'll keep updating on my progress. Thanks for the warm welcome!