Better brakes, better headlight, speedo cable extension

GoldenMotor.com

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
I had some time to burn so I've been living in my shop upgrading my MB. First, I replaced the so-so brakes with Avid Clean Sweep rotors and BB7 calipers. The upgrade required a new rotating caliper mount for the springer front end that I fabricated from 3/16" flat steel. The brakes work great even with a dual pull lever. Then I removed the LED from my Black and Decker flashlight and mounted it in a chrome headlight bucket and made a custom headlight mount from an aluminum jackshaft mandrel. Finally, my speedo cable was not long enough to connect my chrome Whizzer speedo with the sending unit because the chopper forks are so long. I fabricated an extension from an old Schwinn speedo cable, the female connector from a vintage Huret speedo, and a brass gas line fitting which holds the Huret part to the cable housing. I cut the speedo drive cable to the right length, peened the Huret female fitting to the cable, then peened the brass fitting to the steel cable housing. The project required some VERY careful measurements, I'm lucky it works perfectly. The Whizzer speedo registerd 36 MPH on my first run. Whether accurate or not, I'll take it!!!!.rd.

Attachments

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
Thanks, Maurtis. I've learned a lot on this build. As the bike looks more and more like a motorcycle it's just a matter of time until a trooper pulls me. I guess as long as I have the pedals and Giant stamped on the frame I'll be alright. My next change is to make an expansion chamber to get a little more kick out of the engine.