Does anybody make the flat bike wrench anymore?

GoldenMotor.com

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
... you know the one I'm talking about. Back in the 50's, 60's and 70's EVERY bike shop sold these things... stamped flat cheap chump of steel with a multitude of six sided holes in a variety of sizes plus several critical dimentioned notches cut into the side. I seem to recall it to be about 5" long, 2" wide and 1/16th thick... but that is at best a guess. Two of these, a couple of screwdrivers, two junk table knives and a patch kit would be tucked into the sewn up cut-off bluejeans leg and strapped under the rear rack- the pump tagged onto your frame completed the kit.
Anybody know about this?
the Old Sgt.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Ya see, I just KNEW my trunk would come in handy. I carry both an adjustable wrench and a dogbone in my trunk, along with screwdrivers, allen wrenches (of course), spoke wrench, plug wrench, test leads, battery tester, spare plug, spare bulbs, emergency light, cable lock, tire pump, tire gauge, patch kit, OY! and a crapload of other stuff.
And I still got room to pick up small stuff at the store.

Steve1990

Jun 12, 2012
I can see Detroit from here!
I have several of those tools. Whenever I've bought a cheap department store bike, or assembled one for someone, they have been in the little toolbag that comes in the box. I believe one even came with my engine kit. They are both very usefull, and completely useless, but I always carry 2 and a patch kit whenever I go on a long ride.