Anyone built up a Skyhawk aluminum frame with internal tank?

GoldenMotor.com

Busguy

May 9, 2012
The LBC
I bought one of those frames last week. I've been getting all my other parts this week hopefully ready for assembly next week or two. It is very light.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Is there a hole in the rear triangle for a caliper brake beside the cantilever braze-ons? Do you think a 700 wheel would fit in the rear triangle?

I wish they had more pictures of it. Can you post any pictures Busguy?
Did you get the model with the motor mount or without?

Busguy

May 9, 2012
The LBC
There is no hole for a caliper. I'm not sure how wide a 700 wheel is ? The width between the dropouts is 5 1/4 in. My frame has a mount on the bottom bar it fits the chinese two stroke I have pretty good the rear engine mount needs to be opened up a little bit because the seat post bar is a little to big. I saw some pictures of a build with the same frame i'll go find it and tell you where it is.

Busguy

May 9, 2012
The LBC
Go to the Jakebike bike ad on the side of the main page and go to their pictures and look at the seebee pictures they have some cool build photos there. Hope that helps you out. I don't have any photos of mine yet. One thing I found out is the monark forks I bought seem to be a little short for the frame.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
It's not a matter of width- it's a matter of wheel radius.
A 700c wheel needs about 13 3/4 inches of clearance between the dropout and the wheel stay triangle brace near the bottom bracket-depending on the tire size and verticle profile

I guess what I'm asking then is, is there enough length between the brace and the end of the rear facing wheel dropout? Could you measure the length?

Too bad it doesn't have a drill hole- that limits the brake setup to a 26" or a wheel with a coaster brake.

The frame and tank looks nice and light- if someone put out a more lightweight venting gas cap, I'd try it out- our gascaps are especially heavy for a bike, and the length limits putting it under anything- it needs a couple of inches just to clear the tank.

Last edited:

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
If you look at the photos on the jakebike site you will see that there IS a hole where caliper brakes could be mounted. This frame is based off the GT-2 frame (which is steel, not aluminum) and the GT2 also has a hole in the crossbrace for the seat stays. I used mine for mounting a fender.

As for 700c wheels? I don't know if they'd fit. I've never considered it for my GT-2 bike because, frankly, narrow wheels on these bikes just seems like a bad idea to me. I built one narrow wheeled motorbike and it wasn't very long before I removed the motor for another project. WAY too much vibration to be comfortable for me. Fat tires soften the ride.