Hello everybody!

GoldenMotor.com

MattT

May 10, 2012
wilmington, nc
I was originally researching motorized bikes for my step-son. He wanted something to get down the road from where we live to get to his first job at the local Burger King, and one of his friends just got a motorized bike setup, so he is all excited about the subject now. After doing a little bit of research, I am excited as well! My original plan was to buy a new bike and an engine kit, a few safety necessities, assemble everything and "finance" the whole thing for him, which is still part of my plan, but now, after researching everything and watching videos on youtube, I want one too LOL! Anyways, im going to do some more research and get a kit assembled for him, prob a 4 stroke engine, for reliability reasons, and have him make monthly payments to me for the bike. However, I also want to build myself an awesome, 2 stroke, light, stripped of everything but what you need bike. I was actually planning on building myself an AutoGyro, but after researching these things, this is to cool and to afforbable to pass up!
I may still buy my step-son a 2 cycle kit. just for the fact that it would probably need more work to be done to it and that would prob be a good learning experience for him. I haven't made my mind up yet. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I really am looking forward to this, it's just so cool and raw in terms of transportation, no computers and fancy stuff, just a basic motor applying power to a wheel. I think that is so awsome!!! I look forward to exploring everything on this forum, and I hope that after I become more familiar in this field I will have some insight to offer others. Thanks. MattT.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Here are important questions to consider when building or buying for yourself or others:

1) What is the predominant riding terrain?
(Level ground, hills, asphalt or dirt etc...)

2) What type of physique does the primary rider have?
(Large, small, short, tall or health issues etc...)

3) What will the rider's local laws allow and require them to have?
(Lookup and personally read these laws.)

4) What kind of bike is being motorized?
(Mountain, road, whizzer or recumbent etc...)

5) What is the bike to be used for?
(Shows, long trips, around town, off road or racing etc...)

6) How much of a budget is to be used for the build or buy?
(All at the start or as you can afford projects etc...)

Seek the answers to these questions in order to get the most out of the bike you're building or buying. We're here to help with any questions you may have. The purpose of the "Questions to Consider" is not to overwhelm or confuse you. Rather help you focus in on what will work best for you and help you develop a building and/or buying philosophy. This site has lots of people who can help you but the only way they can is by asking questions. Any one of the questions to consider somebody here can help you with.

A fool never learns from their mistakes.

A smart person learns from their mistakes.

A wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

Good luck with your build or buy.

"I became rich by hiring people smarter than me". Andrew Carnegie

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Welcome to the forum......sounds like the bug has bitten you....in a good sorta way (^) I grew up with 2-strokes and hated (yes I said hated) 4-strokes most of my younger life. Well after several decades here on Earth, my mindset has changed and I think for the better. All this boils down to is I suggest doing the 4-stroke thing for the same reasons as you have suggested, mainly reliability.

This is my recommendation and do whatever you feel as these little bikes are a kick in the pants and I'd rather go motorized than not. And it only gets worse from here....sounds like yer in fer a ride! Have a blast and post your builds and expiriences here......enjoy!

.wee.

MattT

May 10, 2012
wilmington, nc
Thanks everybody for your warm welcome. I really like the important questions to consider, I've seen that posted on a lot of new member threads, they are all valid points and gave me a few ideas I had yet to consider.
Scotto, I am leaning your way with the four stroke engines for my first builds. However, I am sure I will end up with at least one 2 cycle somewhere along the way, just cause, well why not! Thank's for your insight, no amount of research can beat years of hands on experience! Unfortunately, BikeGuyJoe, I prob will build an auto-gyro one day lol! Believe it or not they are not as dangerous as you would think, PROVIDED you get everything RIGHT. Thats the big if I guess. Just don't ask my wife what she thinks about it! Hopefully they will become more popular here in the U.S. and I can buy one first, and then warm her up to the whole building one. Thats about ten years down the road anyways, but man I'm tellin you they are really cool!
I have a few months before I start anything, I am going to do as much research as I can about everything I possibly can before I make any real decisions. The sad part is, I haven't even built a bike yet and I already have at least 5 ideas with several different motors in mind! I think a new storage shed may be in the works as well LOL!
Anywho, thanks again, hopefully my next post will either be some dumb question I somehow missed the answer to or pics of my first build

Last edited:

david jeffries

May 11, 2012
pennsylvania
the first vehicle to cross the continental united states was a motorized bicycle. i believe it went from new york to san francisco. i could be wrong about the new york part. but that makes the motorized bicycle more american than the automobile, at least to me anyway. live to ride, and ride to live!