I'm new and I need help

GoldenMotor.com

MilkMeSir

May 8, 2012
Saint Paul, MN
Those are probably the words that are said a lot in this part of the forum I'm guessing.

I'm David and I'm currently living in Minnesota. I just started looking into motorized bikes a few days ago and I'm already hooked and know I want one.
I currently don't have a license so this will be my means of transportation, which makes me very happy to say the least.

I currently have nothing, so I'm kind of at a hard starting place.

I can't decide whether to get a fully assembled bike or one that I would build myself. I'm not very smart when it comes to mechanical work.

I'm getting my next paycheck on Monday and I'm hoping to spend it almost completely on getting a bike, unless I can find a nice cheap way to get one. My budget will be about $450.

I'd much rather have a 4 stroke, but then again I'm new and may just want what's fast and big.

So that's a start, what can you all do to help me?

:D
Anyways, that's the

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Welcome to the forum!

That prebuilt bike you linked to has the "chinagirl" motor on it, and they can be finicky. They require some TLC and varying amounts of maintenance. If you're relying on it to get around , you're gonna need to get very familiar with mechanical work. Mostly checking nuts and bolts all the time, but mounting and exhaust studs can break randomly. Since it's a motor-assisted bicycle, the bicycle itself is going to need extra maintenance, too. I see on that link you posted that bicycle doesn't have a front brake. If the pedal chain breaks or falls off, you won't be able to stop. The front fork has no provision for V-brakes, so you'd have to install a caliper brake - they don't do very well. It'll eat the paint off the front rim, go through pads quickly, and not do a great job at stopping. BUT, most of got our start on bikes like that, and the learning experience is invaluable.

A 4-stroke is gonna cost a lot more, depending on which way you go about obtaining one. For someone new like you, I'd recommend a Huasheng and Q-matic kit, but that's ~$650 not including a bicycle and you'd have to either build it yourself or have someone help you build it. It'll get better gas mileage, be easy to maintain, and be much more reliable tho.

Tough choice that initially must be made with your wallet. In the long term tho, you'll come out ahead with the 4-stroke, I promise.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Welcome, the link you supplied is the typical cruiser (HT) kit I like to build , First at $350.00 that's a good deal. Kits like that along with a new cruiser (from Wally Mart) cost at least $300.00 to build. Engine kit close to $200.00, and the bike $100.00. Even buying a bike that is "complete", really isn't, although it looks that way. Right off the bat, before ever putting hours on it, here are are my recommendations. Keep in mind I wrote this up for those that buy a kit, and install themselves. But there are things that can and should be done with that bike, before depending on it for a every day commuter.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GcesQihc7-mm3hJGf7UPiqOaRXZ8ekUT99QUZq2qXXE/edit