motorbike newbie

GoldenMotor.com

j3s

Feb 2, 2012
Helena montana
hi there fellow motor bikers.
anxiously waiting for spring here in helena, montana
There was an article today in our newspaper about the use of ground up glass being used on our streets and a sudden rash of bike tires going flat.
any way my name is Jack And i am enjoying this motorbike build even though its taken a little while. Anyway i have a question that i can't find an answer to. I have a 66cc skyhawk engine 2 cycle going on a new huffy cranbook and right out of the box the engine has 2 hoses cumming out the top, What purpose do they serve? See the picture

Attachments

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Welcome....one must be a intake for fuel (hose closest to the pink zip tie) and I'm sure the other is a bowl vent. Which one, I don't know for sure without having the carburetor in front of me, as I have never used any other carburetor then a NT. The fuel intake fitting appears to sit over the float/needle. Need to get rid of that cheap Chinese plug and wire.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Interesting!

I'll bet they are both atmospheric vents, or one is an overflow... same thing, just about.
Is that the air cleaner that came with the engine?
...there may be a pair of holes in a stock air cleaner those hoses run into???

May be best to take the carb off and drop the float bowl and have a look inside to see if they terminate in there somewhere visible???

at least these things are ez to work on! :)
Best
rc

j3s

Feb 2, 2012
Helena montana
here is a better pic of my cheap china carb there are 4 hoses, one fuel and 3 clear plastic hoses i have no idea what they are used for.

Jack

Attachments

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
here is a better pic of my cheap china carb there are 4 hoses, one fuel and 3 clear plastic hoses i have no idea what they are used for.

Jack
I see that the last picture that the fuel is attached. The remaining 3 houses are not used.
The tube at the bottom is the vent tube. That's a CNS carburetor, good luck in using it, as they are more trouble then they are worth (as I read from members experience). Had one but got rid of it about as fast as I got it.

Last edited:

j3s

Feb 2, 2012
Helena montana
thanks guys, an update the cns carb is now gone. I bought some old wheels and turned one down on my lathe and waiting to install it as the chain tensioner, Tonight i tore the engine down and tomorrow with any luck hope to replace head bolts, manifold and mount bolts with hardened steel bolts. Jack j3s